Thursday, July 25, 2019

Fringe 2019 Top 10, #4 - Botanical Dancing - LC Creations - Southern Theater


Description: Permanent visuals spill into the world of performance art as dancers take the stage with paint and markers to articulate ecological concepts. This thrilling culmination promises no shortage of groovy fun.

This is a prime example of how a good preview can help you.  Like all the dance offerings in the Fringe, this one was on my radar in a general way, because I’m always looking to mix things up on my schedule and get some dance in the mix as much as possible.

But their preview really elevated them for me.  And I wasn’t the only one.  When someone asked after the first round of previews were done for the night, “Was there anyone you didn’t already have an opinion about that now you really want to see their show?”  My response was Botanical Dancing.  And other folks agreed.

I honestly couldn’t hear the performer who was speaking all that well over on the side of the audience as I was during the preview, but that didn’t really matter.  I missed her talking about the details of the “gimmick” of their show - the incorporation of painting and drawing into the movement, and the inspiration of ecological themes - but I already knew that from perusing the Fringe website (they have more of a write-up and photos of their process, on the More Information tag of their Fringe show page).

The thing that sold me was that the dancers not only clearly knew what they were doing movement-wise, they were also having fun, and that enthusiasm and joy in their art, and the impulse to share it, translated to the audience watching them.  At least it did for me.

So it’s good dance, but they’ve also got other things going on, including a friendly attitude that draws you in (no pun intended).  I’m very much looking forward to seeing the full show.

First show - Saturday, August 3, 2019, 4pm - Southern Theater



For a quick list of links to my other postings, check out my Top 10 and Top 11-20 new Fringe artists to check out for Fringe 2019.  There's also Returning Favorites, and Fringe Shows I Just Can't Watch Right Now, but You Probably Should.  If you want to keep me company, during my first Fringe without Mom, I'll be posting my schedule here.  Also, here's some links if you want to hit all the Fringe 2019 blog posts, or see the full Fringe Archive from years past (just keep scrolling down, or hit the different years in the archive listing for the full blog on the right side of the screen and zero in on July and August)


No comments: