Sunday, July 28, 2019

Fringe 2019 - Top 10 - #7 - Moon River – Ducdame Theatre (Paige Quinlivan) – Ritz Studio


Description - In 1944, the moon disappeared from the sky. 16 years later, a greaser and a square are drawn together by fate in an homage to butch/femme identity that queers the fraught legacy of contemporary fantasy.

As a playwright myself, I love seeing new plays at Fringe time.  It’s where I run across things I love like the work Shelby Company does.  So the fact that this is a new play is a plus.  And the fact that it’s got queer content is another plus - in this case, a central lesbian couple around which the story revolves.  And the premise is fascinating.

But also, again, their Fringe preview really kicked ass.  I don’t think the three minute segment they presented is pulled directly from the play as is.  I think they pulled key lines and brief character interactions from different parts of the script and created a super sharp summary of basic relationships and key plot points that get the story started.  They might have even introduced the entire cast.  One snippet flowed right into the next in a way that was easy to follow and very intriguing.  It was a great way to sell the production in just under three minutes.  I wish all previews were this good *and* informative.

I’m really looking forward to seeing this show.  It was almost the very first thing I was going to see at the Fringe this year until my scheduling puzzle took a different turn.  But you could make it your opening night first Fringe show and beat me to it.

(Side note - the name of the theater company also grabbed me, because it's from my favorite Shakespeare play, As You Like It.  It's a joke that Jacques plays on the good Duke's merry men, getting them to sing lyrics to a song with words they don't understand.  They ask him what the word "ducdame" means, and he replies, "'Tis a Greek invocation, to call fools into a circle.")

First show - Thursday, August 1, 2019, 5:30pm - Ritz Theater Studio



For a quick list of links to my other postings, check out my Top 10 and Top 11-20 new Fringe artists to check out for Fringe 2019.  There's also Returning Favorites, and Fringe Shows I Just Can't Watch Right Now, but You Probably Should.  If you want to keep me company, during my first Fringe without Mom, I'll be posting my schedule here.  Also, here's some links if you want to hit all the Fringe 2019 blog posts, or see the full Fringe Archive from years past (just keep scrolling down, or hit the different years in the archive listing for the full blog on the right side of the screen and zero in on July and August)


No comments: