Friday, March 27, 2009

Shameless Plug of the Day - Mo Perry as Hedda Gabbler (closing this weekend)

People frequently ask me, "What's playing that I should go see this weekend?"

This week, I'd have to say "Catch Mo Perry playing Hedda Gabbler"

Why?

It's Mo Perry playing Hedda Gabbler.

I was going through my archives and realize that every time I've reviewed Mo Perry in a production, she's been one of the best things in it. Often she's surrounded by equally talented actors, but I never find myself saying, "Hmmm. Mo could have been better." Mo throws herself so completely into each role, and performs around town so much, the woman must be exhausted. (There were three reviews I found with Mo in them from 2007 alone - and that wasn't all she did that year, that's just all I managed to see. She's impossible to keep up with. She seems to be everywhere.)

And now she's headlining. Playing one of the meatiest female roles in the canon.

Craig Johnson's adapting and directing Ibsen's classic (and he and Mo did such a lovely job collaborating on Uncle Vanya a while back, I can only imagine this is more of the same good stuff)

The woman's done Shakespeare both straight and silly. She's done Chekhov directly and indirectly. She's played men so convincingly you forget she's a woman. And she's wandered the territory in between.

She's just really, really good in everything she does.

So if you asked me what you should go see this weekend, I'd say

Go see Mo Perry as Hedda Gabbler.

The cast also includes Alisa Gingerich, Ryan Parker Knox, John Middleton, Donna Porfiri, Wade Vaughn, Amanda Whisner.

Performances remaining are Friday and Saturday, March 27 and 28 at 8pm, and Sunday, March 29 at 4pm at Gremlin Theatre's new home - 2400 University Avenue West, just East of 280 at Raymond in St. Paul. (Free parking for theater patrons in the US Bank parking lot kitty-corner from the theatre at Raymond and University.)

Tickets are $20.00 for adults, $18.00 for Seniors or patrons with a Fringe Button. Under 30? Pay half your age, every night! (That's a really smart idea, actually. Theaters should all steal that one.)

Read Fringe Famous chatting up Mo about the production for a little more info.

Past reviews of Mo's work lurk here, here, here, here and here (for starters)

For reservations and more information call (651) 228-7008 or visit www.gremlin-theatre.org.

No comments: