Saturday, March 14, 2020

Non-Review - Lipstick: A Queer Farce - Gadfly Productions (just inches away)


Thought I might actually see some theater tonight but, sadly, COVID-19 strikes again.

The production, the latest from Gadfly:

"Lipstick is a silly, sweet farce with a heart of gold and a drawer full of sex toys.

Anna has invited Kelly over for dinner, but is it a date? Or just hanging out? How could Anna know?! Is Kelly even gay?! Kelly wears earrings AND boots! Just in case that wasn’t confusing enough, a cavalcade of visitors crashes their evening – an ex-girlfriend, a best friend, a handyman, a mom, and a parade of potential suitors. Hijinks, of course, ensue, in this play-shaped love letter to the queer community."


I was actually listening to some news discussion of flattening the curve, social distancing, etc. and wondering about the wisdom of going - but I had a friend in the cast, and another friend I hadn't seen in a while who was attending with me and they were willing to hazard the potential virus gauntlet.

Got in the car, opened the garage door, flipped open my phone to turn on some music for the journey and found a facebook notification

"Lipstick: A Queer Farce is canceled."

Used the phone to call my friend and let him know, so he didn't leave for the theater.

Also used the phone to text my friend in the cast some condolences.

They had their opening night last night, at least, but they're robbed of the rest of the run, which is sad.

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer to see that friend on stage again.

It may be a while before I see anyone on stage again, come to think of it.

In a theater town where there's so much art that I frequently feel overwhelmed with too much to choose from, it is extremely weird to suddenly have no live theater to see.

That's how I'm going to know things are finally normal again - when theater comes back and we're all not to scared to go see it.

Say a little prayer, folks.  Given the current competence of our federal government, it may be a while...


No comments: