Sunday, August 03, 2003

Fringe - Day 2 - Part 7

Look Ma, No Pants
Loring Playhouse

I finally popped my Scrimshaw cherry.

Just another one of those things I've missed that I've been embarrassed to admit - never seen a Scrimshaw Brothers show.

And oh, how I needed to.

Damn, they're funny.

That's not easy.

Often the last thing I want to do is drag myself somewhere when there's the threat of sketch comedy involved.

Like performance art and playwrighting and acting and, well, you pick it. Anything that's part of the arts, people think they can do it. "If I can walk and talk, I can act. If I pick up a pen I can write. If I think I'm funny, then others must also find me funny." Oh, nothing could be further from the truth.

But I was out anyway, I had just done three Fringe shows in a row. I was even already at the Loring Playhouse and had an ultra-pass. I really had no excuses left. What the hell. I don't have to get up early tomorrow. It's only sleep.

Man, am I glad I did.

If you haven't seen the Scrimshaw Brothers, you really should. They have four shows - this one, Shut Your Joke Hole, A One Woman Show starring the Scrimshaw Brothers, and the Worst Show In The Fringe. Now I have three more shows to try and cram into my schedule. Thank God they do No Pants year round. We all need a laugh these days.

Music, dance, improv, sketch comedy, social commentary, and some hardy souls even checked their pants at the beginning of the show and picked them up at the end of the night.

The two "episodes" of Comedian Biographies were some of the nastiest, meanest, funniest damn stuff I've seen in years.

And in closing, may I add that comedians who are actually funny, well, they're kinda hot (and I don't think that's just the sleep deprivation talking)

No comments: