Saturday, August 02, 2003

Regrets, I've Had (Quite) A Few...

But then again, almost too many to mention.

Leah Cooper tells me that, even if you went to every single appointed curtain time for the whole ten days, you could still only see 48 shows, tops.

Given the commute from, and existence of, the day job in St.Paul, the weekend time already spoken for in volunteering and waiting for Mom to arrive, and the conflicting schedules of the critical shows I feel I really want to see, or that have good friends in them...well...

I managed 27.

Plus I'm still figuring out which of 3 Spoken Word events at Dunn Brothers that I could work into the existing schedule I'm going to try and get to. So that's 28.

And I'm missing almost as many as that which I also really want to see. So here, in something approximating alphabetical order, is the list of shows that I'm sorry I'll probably miss. (I'm still working on it, but it doesn't look good)

I recommend them. So if you can go give them an audience when I can't, please do. And then taunt me by telling me what I missed...

Apologetic Killer
Acadia Cafe
(covered in Hook, Line and Sinker, 7/28/2003)

Bette, My Fraudulent Welfare Queen: A Comic Bluegrass Opera In One Act
Brave New Workshop
(covered in OK, I'm Curious #1, 7/23/2003)

Better Being Bad
Texas Red Liquid Players
a Machiavellian musical
Hey City Theater Upstairs
(covered in OK, I'm Curious #1, 7/23/2003)

The Bitter Festie Play
In The Heart of the Beast Puppet Theater
Renaissance Festival actors get bumped off. What's not to like?

Cafe Delphi
Minneapolis Theater Garage
(covered in Friendly Persuasion #4, 7/19/2003)

Charlie Bethel's Beowulf
Jungle Theater
A remount of a popular one-man interpretation of a classic text.

Climax - The Final Fourplay
Loring Playhouse
A local theater, Gremlin Theater, doing ten minute plays by local playwrights.

The German Socialites
Red Eye
(covered in Hook, Line and Sinker, 7/28/2003)

The Hanging of Pollyana
Tom Cassidy
Intermedia Arts
(available for sampling online through the Fringe site in "Cue to Cue")

Long Ago and Far Away by David Ives
Pillsbury House Theater
David Ives is one of the most inventive and unusual playwrights working in theater today.

Marlene Dietrich and Edith Piaf: The Kamikaze and The Chameleon
Hey City Theater Downstairs
(covered in Friendly Persuasion #6, 7/22/2003, and available for sampling online through the Fringe site in "Cue to Cue" or this Sunday, August 3rd, St. Paul public TV, Channel 17, at 7:30pm)

Moby Dick
Another remount of a popular one-man interpretation of a classic text. As the website trumpets, One Man. One Hour. One Whale.

Mrs. Cowbeach's Profession
Pillsbury House Theater
(covered in Friendly Persuasion #2, 7/15/2003)

The Point
MCTC Whitney Mainstage
(available for sampling online through the Fringe site in "Cue to Cue")

A Room of Angels
Loring Playhouse
(covered in Hook, Line and Sinker, 7/28/2003)

The Rules of the Land
Minneapolis Theater Garage
Dance troup from Nigeria
(covered in OK, I'm Curious #2, 7/24/2003, and A Little International Flavor, 7/19/2003)

The Sugardaddy Project
Old Arizona
(covered in Friendly Persuasion #4, 7/19/2003)

That's MR. Benchley To You, Mrs. Parker
Loring Playhouse
What's not to like about anything that resurrects the wit of Dorothy Parker and someone from her vicious circle?

The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip
MCTC Whitney Mainstage
Leah Cooper's description of this tale fascinated me. A kid's show with an adult metaphor lurking just beneath the surface. Fun and challenging stuff.

The Worst Show In The Fringe
In The Heart of the Beast Puppet Theater
Well, they don't need me, but I'd still like to see it. Last year's most popular Fringe show.

Zap! Kunst! or Presto! It's Art!
Hey City Theater Upstairs
A remount of a much-lauded and very funny look at performance "art"
(available for sampling online through the Fringe site in "Cue to Cue")

No comments: