Sunday, July 26, 2020

Fringe 2020 - Virtual Fringe - Nightly Fringe 3 - Saturday, August 1

Saturday, 8/1 is the only three show day in the Nightly Fringe schedule (because, hey, it's the weekend).  And those three shows are:

In the 7 to 7:30pm slot:

My Kahaani, from SAATH (from our roster in Friday night's Fringe fundraiser)

"Personal South Asian stories of immigration and cultural integration."

It is a function of the time I went to high school that any two word title that begins with "My..." my brain immediately translates to the music of the Knack's song, "My Sharona" - that's just something you should know about what my brain does.

(Cast TBD, no current warnings listed, ages 7 to 11 and up)

Then, for something completely different

In the 8 to 8:30pm slot:

Oops, I F**ked My Mom and Killed My Dad! And Now We're All In Hell!, or A Hellish Reunion, from The Feral Theatre Company

(easily my favorite new theater company name so far, but we're just getting started)

"Oedipus Rex may have gouged out his eyes so he doesn't have to see his parents in the underworld, but that doesn't mean they still won't make his death a living hell! (ba dum tss). Join the "whackiest family in Ancient Greece" as they sit around in the underworld and face their problems with special guest Sigmund Freud!"

(is it wrong that I enjoy a show description that includes its own rimshot?)

Now, since I recently crossed the threshold of having two dead parents myself, such a plot situation might be a bit touchy.  But it's the ancient Greeks, and it's a (dark) comedy (especially for Oedipus, he gouged his eyes out).  So I think I can buck up for 30 minutes.

(No warnings listed but, you know, he f**ked his mother and killed his father and gouged his own eyes out, and that was all before the play started, and now they're in hell, and in therapy so... consider yourself warned by the title; for ages 16 and up)

In the 9 to 9:30pm slot:

timz paranoid delusionz, from Timothy Mooney Repertory Theatre

(Yes, our loyal traveling friend Tim Mooney is back, and this time he doesn't even need to travel.)

"Tim Mooney presented "Electric Eye" and "The Dog That Doesn't Bark" as part of yesteryear fringes' "Fringe Orphans" presentations. He's reviving these two monologues (along with whatever his latest freak-out might be) for those who might have missed them the first time around!"

Fringe Orphans is a handy recurring concept dreamed up by Fringe local Brian Watson-Jones to serve as a catch-all for ideas that are clever, but not enough of an idea to sustain more than maybe five to ten minutes.  Not a full Fringe show on their own, but if you put a whole bunch of them together, voila, a full Fringe show.

So Tim's bringing back a couple of older pieces and throwing a new one on the pile just to round out the half hour.  Should be fun.

(Warnings: adult language, sexual content; for ages 12 to 15 and up)

An evening of storytelling with a new play in the middle.



No comments: