Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Fringe 2023 - Returning Favorites - Allison Broeren


Fire In My Veins: Blazing Through Life With Invisible Illness

This romp with Allison about living with a rare autoimmune disease for 20 years has it all. Chronic illness is hard, horrifying, and honestly, sometimes hilarious. See the remount after a sold out opening run.

Venue: Strike Theater
Tagged for: Comedy, Drama, Solo Show, Spoken Word, Storytelling
Content Warnings: Adult Language

I’ve been a fan of Allison’s storytelling since first she landed on my pre-Fringe Top 20 list back in 2007 with her show “All The Things I Never Told My Mother” (which, of course, I attended with my own mother, it seemed appropriate - not only did Mom attend a wide variety of shows with me each Fringe for 16 years - of wildly different quality and content, she was also the person who went with me to see the South Park movie “South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut” in theaters when it first came out back in the day. The ticket seller even asked her, just to be sure, “You do know what this movie’s about, right?” Mom politely replied that she did, and off we went to see the movie.)

Back to Allison, this is where my web host suddenly going out of business last year puts me at a disadvantage.  No warning, the website, and my primary email just went “poof” one day.  Still rebuilding.  It took a lot of content, particularly older Fringe content, with it.  But thankfully, sometimes an article or artist post about themselves will have old quotes in them.  Like this handy chestnut of a quote from a previous review of Allison’s shows:

"Her words come out at such a dazzling rate...it's a flurry of clever turns, comical juxtapositions, and the occasional random pop cultural reference that elevates everyday conversation to an art form."
- Matthew Everett, Twin Cities Daily Planet

So I think I should listen to that critic who used to write for the Daily Planet.  He sounds knowledgeable.

Allison’s also just one of the nicest people you’re ever likely to meet.  Always nice when artists you like are also good people.  Makes you want to support them that much more.

Of course, she probably doesn’t need my help - the previous run of this show sold out so… get those tickets, people.

Update, their Fringe preview:

 

Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10, and Top 11-20 Lists, plus the full list of all returning favorites at this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage

 

 

No comments: