Thursday, July 30, 2026

Fringe 2026 Top 11-20 - #14 - Moral of the Story - A Real Piece of Work


A Real Piece of Work

Description
When a bumbling community theater group rehearses for their production of Hamlet, one actor tries to help them get their act together. This ensemble comedy is a love letter to community theater.
Venue – Theatre in the Round (TRP)
Content Warnings – Adult Language, Gun/Weapon Usage
Genre and Content – Comedy, Drama, Shakespearian Elements
Ages 12 to 15 and Up

This show is a great example of how a Fringe preview can help you break out of a list of dozens of other shows in the festival.

Theater about theater and art about artists is generally not my thing (I know, I say that all the time and then I find the exception.  Still…)

As I was doing my usual homework of perusing every single show on the Fringe site, I saw this one and thought “oh, theater about theater, and Hamlet besides, I can probably skip that one.”  The only Shakespeare play less likely than Hamlet to draw me in would be any riff on A Midsummer Night’s Dream (apologies to "A Dark Gotham Knight’s Dream," also in the festival this year, though I will admit, the costumes visible in your trailer are making a good case for seeing you anyway)

But then I saw the Fringe preview of “A Real Piece of Work” and it won me over.



It’s hard to do a good Fringe preview for any show, even a great show.  Things can so easily go off the rails.  But here, they really nailed it.

It’s a play within a play about a play, so a preview about all that is just one more layer of meta commentary and comedy.

The ensemble of ten actors knew they only had three minutes to get the job done (and reminded themselves and us about it as they went, which was a fun recurring bit), but everybody was on their game, script in hand if needed but the dialogue flowed naturally, introduced all the characters in quick bursts as they all collectively told us the premise of the play while also displaying the dynamics between the cast while they were at it.  They kept the pace moving, and gave us a sample of the kind of thing we have in store if we see the play.  Perfect, and funny.  

Plus, it’s hard to play the character of a bad actor onstage, unless you’re a good actor.  I was worried that it might either be a show by “serious” theater people that was punching down at community theater, or conversely a show by community theater people that had a perhaps overinflated sense of the importance and high art of community theater.  It was, surprisingly, somehow neither of those things, which I find kind of fascinating as a tight rope act for this production to pull off.  The ensemble is a nice mix of different kinds of actors, and different personality types for their characters.  AND it seemed like it was going to be fun, rather than painful, to watch.  So I am sold, in spite of myself.

Nicely done.

Looking a bit more closely at the press packet materials, there’s a bit more detail that’s also reassuring:

“In this ensemble comedy, an actor gets increasingly frustrated rehearsing with an amateurish community theater group for their production of Hamlet. He tries to improve the show and motivate the others to embrace his ideas, and eventually learns a more important lesson. This show is a love letter to community theater and the characters onstage and off, with a timely political message about accepting and connecting with those different from us.”

 

Interested in hearing about other artists I recommend based on past outings in the Fringe? Here's a link to a list of all the coverage of returning favorite artists from past pre-Fringe Top 20 lists of mine that are part of this year's Minnesota Fringe Festival. And here's links to the 2026 versions of my pre-Fringe Top 10 list and Top 11 through 20 for the 2026 festival as we ramp up toward the start of the Fringe on August 6th.  

 

  

No comments: