Thursday, August 10, 2017

Fringe 2017 - Day 8 - Thursday Schedule - Trans Shakespeare, Seances, Celebrity Impressions, 2nd Attempt at a Popular Comedy

Gonna try a more ambitious cross town run to catch two shows I’d really like to see in back to back slots that are a ways apart.  Might not work, but if not, then at least I’ll be in the right part of town for my final two selections.  Another night when I’m trying to set up reservations for the shows in the smaller venues, both of which have sold out a performance already this year.

5:30pm - What You Will - Jammed Desk Productions - Phoenix Theater

This Twelfth Night adaptation through a queer lens sounds like it’s right up my alley.  That’s why it ended up on my Top 20 list this year (at #15), which I’ve written about before.  Three performances down, over a half dozen audience reviews averaging out to a 5 star rating.

Then I’m going to give a car ride across town a try from the Phoenix to the Rarig.  It’s a risk, but if I miss the curtain, I’ll have my computer with me and work on something else for a while till the next show rolls around.  One way or the other, I’m spending the rest of my night on the West Bank.

7pm - The Memory Box of the Sisters Fox - The Winding Sheet Outfit - Rarig Arena

Another on the list of returning favorites.  They sold out a show this past weekend (hence my reservation), and have racked up an impressive tally of nearly sixty audience reviews, still maintaining an average 5 star rating.

8:30pm - Repertoire Dogs - Ideal Productions - Mixed Blood

Returning favorite Josh Carson is the emcee for this collection of celebrity impressions put into iconic move scenes, plays, and music where they were never meant to be.  If their Fringe preview was any indication, comedy shall ensue.  Three performances down,  over thirty audience reviews averaging out to a 4 star rating.

10pm - Dick White: Ghost Detective - I’m Related To Lin Manuel Miranda - Rarig Xperimental

Not making the same mistake twice on this one.  Reservation in place so I’ll get a chance to see the show Mom’s already seen at their sold out weekend performance, and we can compare notes.  She really enjoyed it, so I’m sure I’ll do the same.  As I said back on Saturday when I first tried to see the show, it’s at #3 on my Top 10 List this year for a reason.  Three performances down, they’ve got about three dozen audience reviews that are all over the map, but they still average out to a 4 star rating.  I know these guys aren’t everyone’s taste in comedy, but I really enjoyed them last time, so I’m looking forward to more.

On balance, a fairly upbeat night of entertainment.  A most welcome roster of artists.

And here's some handy links to all the 5 star shows, 4-1/2 star shows and 4 star shows I've seen in the Fringe thus far (many of which have performances this evening, one of which closes tonight), plus the full list of pre-Fringe top 10, and 11-20, the rest of the returning favorites, and all the random shout outs in these Top 10/Top 20 posts - links all gathered in a single list to take you to fuller posts and Fringe pages.  Enjoy!


No comments: