Monday, November 26, 2018

November Writing Challenge 2018 - 26 - Stonings And Hangings



THE TWENTY-SIXTH CHALLENGE

Stonings and Hangings

So, based on my super boring definition of theatrical energy (heretofore uncontested as the definitive definition of theater ever assembled in the English language)… are public stonings and hangings theater?

Let’s do one and find out.

First, find a religious or governmental text that demands punishment by death.

Then…

CHALLENGE: Kill someone on stage for committing a crime.

Get yer hackles up! Be cruel. CRUEL.

Also, elevate this villain. Make the cruelty a necessity for proper cleansing.

NO FOURTH WALL (duh- fourth walls suck)

Heck, invite the audience to participate.

Use social media in some way, if you can stomach it. I know a lot of you HATE social media on stage because, well, it’s something nobody has really mastered yet.

CONSIDER DAMON AND PYTHIAS

THIS IS NOT A COMEDY (unless you want it to b … and then chuckle away ya freaky goofball!)

DO NOT KILL THE PRESIDENT (that’s tomorrow. killing the president is more of a Tuesday thing. Monday is cleaning. Wednesday is laundry.)

THIS IS A RAIN DANCE (probably- it’s also totally possible to make this a calm sacrificial campfire story—- but you heavily risk sliding back into morality tale)

Consider non-proscenium staging. This is a good elevated round or alley moment. Why does that matter for how you write?

Well, it’s about what works best in each.

Elevated round is about hope and judgement

Compare contrast and time shifts are best in alley.

Don’t believe me? Don’t worry! I’m just making it up…. but I’m right though. I am.

Is arrogance a crime worthy of a death sentence?



(Once again, I’m dipping into the wayback machine and calling up another prompt instead - below, given my own current parent visitation situation)



My parents are visiting
Sorry for delays
I’m feeling all Doogie Howser here….
So write a play about parents.

But mess with time.
THE NINETEENTH CHALLENGE: WRITE A TIME-FLUID PARENTAL PLAY

Like start with an egg- or start with a LITERAL TWINKLE IN AN EYE

And by the end, with death and a reunion of sorts. It can be- should be- something a bit more fantastical magical ethereal than like 6th grader Heaven.

If you’re a hardcore blackbelt atheist, then make your NOTHINGNESS beautiful, you temporal breeder (for the purposes of art).  

Don’t: get cute.
Do: get sappy

When you mess with convention, it disrupts the audience and if they have to think, they can’t feel. So give them instant connections to allow them to stop thinking, and start feeling.

Nobody wants to have to THINK about your goddamn play until you’ve given us the gift of feeling something real. Then, we’ll think all by ourselves without any help from you AT ALL.
You are not a thinker maker. You are a playwright.

****************


Two male strangers on a light rail train.

One in his 20s, one in his 50s.

They make, then avoid, eye contact the way male strangers in particular do.

50s suddenly has a SHADOW talking in his ear.

                          SHADOW
Do *not* look at him again.  It’s asking for trouble.

                          50s
We’re having this conversation inside my head, right?  This is in no way my out loud voice.

                          SHADOW
Safe space, yes.

                          50s
You look, I can’t.  Is he gonna kick my ass?

                          SHADOW
Does he look angry?  No.

                          50s
Good.

                          SHADOW
Would he be angry if he knew how closely you were watching his arms in short sleeves earlier and how disappointed you were when he pulled his coat back on?  Probably.

                          50s
But he doesn’t know.

                          SHADOW
Lucky you.

                          50s
It’s 4am.  I’m headed for a pre-dawn flight out of town, and I don’t want to dwell too much on the reason why.  Allow me a distraction.

                          SHADOW
Ooops, he’s coming over.  Don’t look him up and down.  Don’t hold direct eye contact for too long.  If you can manage it, lower your voice an octave.

                          20s
Where are you getting off?

                          SHADOW
For so very many reasons do not answer that question the way your penis wants you to answer that question.

                          50s
I’m headed to the airport.  Terminal 2.

20s nods, retreats into himself again.

                          SHADOW
Wanna give him your flight number while you’re at it?

                          50s
Where are you trying to get to?

                          20s
Brooklyn Park.

                          50s
Yeah, I don’t know the route that well, except to or from the airport out of downtown.  I’m not sure where to tell you to get off, or even if this is the right train.  Sorry.

                          20s
Not quite awake.

                          50s
Me neither.

                          20s
Late night?

                          50s
Early morning.  I’m going to visit my father.  His health’s not so good right now.

                          20s
Life sucks, man.

                          50s
He’s not really sick or anything.  He’s just old.  Done.  He’s being well cared for.  He’s had a good long life.

                          20s
Well, if he was holding you back from anything, now you can live your best life.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
Is that a comment about my father or his?

                          SHADOW
Don’t probe too deeply.

                          50s
     (to 20s)
No, things are good.  My dad and I have said all we need to say to each other.

                          SHADOW
You’re assuming he knows that’s a positive thing, that you and your father have said positive things.  He could think you mean, “I’m done with that old man, I told him to fuck off.”

                          20s
I don’t know, man.  I’m 21.  My mom, she’s like 54.  She’s getting to that age when things are gonna start to happen to her.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
How young does this guy think I am?  I could be his mother, er, father.

                          SHADOW
Do not think the word Daddy.  Do not think the word Daddy.

                          20s
I got a son, man.  He’s five.

                          SHADOW
Don’t do the math.  Don’t do the math.  Don’t do the math.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
He got a girl pregnant when he was just 16, more likely 15?!  I was so closeted I was afraid to admit I was gay even to myself, much less do anything about it.

                          20s
I wanna raise him right, man, you know?  Gotta live your best life, man.  Straight, gay, bi, we’ve just gotta do what we do.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
Where exactly did that come from?

                          SHADOW
Your brain just short-circuited, didn’t it?

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
Part of me’s thinking – that’s an amazing thing for a father of a young kid to say, you should encourage that instinct.
Part of me’s thinking – does he know I’m gay and is trying to say he’s cool with it, but, you know, it’s not his thing.
Part of me’s thinking – is he trying to tell me something about him?  And if so, why?

                          SHADOW
He is not flirting with you.
I am – fairly certain of that.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
I let that go by in silence.  Smiling, nodding, encouraging silence.  But silence.  I’m going to kick myself for that later.  For so many reasons.

                          20s
I’m supposed to pick him up after I get off work, take him to his first wrestling practice.

                          50s
That’s great.  I mean, what kind of wrestling can they really do at five, right?  But it’s great, that he wants to be part of a team.  It’s good to start that young.
     (to SHADOW)
I am a moron.  Not everything needs a lame joke in the middle of it.  Just support someone who wants to be a father to his son.


                          20s
Right now I wrestle with him, and I have to pretend to let him pin me.  Otherwise –

                          50s
Well, before you know it he’ll be the age you are now, and then he really will be able to flip you over.

                          SHADOW
Oh my god, that’s adorable.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
You’re not helping me here.

-->                          SHADOW
Don’t think about wrestlers.  Don’t think about wrestlers.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
Well, I wasn’t till you said that.  Now I’m thinking about crushes I had in high school and college, thanks a lot.

                          SHADOW
Tell him what you mean about your father.  Tell him how to be a good father.

                          50s
     (to SHADOW)
What do I know about being a good father?

                          SHADOW
How can you pass up an opportunity to talk about your goddaughter?  It’s your only safe harbor when discussion of kids is concerned.

                          50s
I don’t even know if I’m doing that right.

                          SHADOW
When has that stopped you from going on about her before?  But fine, tell him about your dad.

                          50s
What?

                          SHADOW
Why have you said all you need to say to each other?

                          50s
You don’t tell a stranger that you and your dad tell each other “I love you.”

                          SHADOW
Are you fucking kidding me?  That’s exactly what you tell the 21 year old father of a five year old.

                          50s
That my father never ended a conversation without saying “I love you.  I’m proud of you.”  Even when you weren’t sure you’d done anything in particular to be proud of?

                          SHADOW
Yes!

                          50s
How do you say that to a stranger on a train?

                          SHADOW
You say it because that’s the thing a 21 year old father of a five year old boy needs to hear about how to be a good father.  How to be a father who never regrets the way he helped raise his boy to be a man.  How not to leave the stupid, simple but HUGE things unsaid, even when they seem so small, and seem like they don’t need repeating.

                          50s
This is happening in real time.  At four in the morning.  My brain doesn’t work that fast.

                          SHADOW
You’re going to kick yourself later.

                          50s
Probably.
     (to 20s)
Fathers and sons, right?

20s and 50s smile at each other, nod.

                          50s (cont’d)
Coming up on my stop.
Good luck, getting where you’re going.
And enjoy the time with your son.
It goes by fast.
Just ask my dad.

50s steps out of the train, SHADOW on his heels.

20s fades slowly into the darkness.

                          SHADOW
You know something else you’re going to kick yourself about later?

                          50s
What?

                          SHADOW
You had the perfect, non-creepy opportunity and –

                          50s
I never asked him his name.

                          SHADOW
Yup.

50s facepalms himself.
SHADOW mirrors the same motion alongside him.

Lights shift.

50s and SHADOW fade into the darkness.

A voice in the dark says:

                          VOICE
The moving walkway is ending.  Please attend to children.  And watch your step.

20s appears, wrestling with his five year old kid.

                          VOICE
The moving walkway is ending.  Please attend to children.  And watch your step.

A MAN in his 30s in a white T-shirt and slacks, straight out of a black and white photograph from the 1960s, lies in a bed with a baby on his chest.  Both enormously content together.

                          VOICE
The moving walkway is ending.  Please attend to children.  And watch your step.

50s is in his DAD’s room at the retirement home.  50s rests his head on his DAD’s chest as he sits in a chair beside the bed.  His DAD’s breath is labored.

                          50s
I love you, Dad.

                          DAD
     (with great effort)
I love you, too, son.  I’m proud of you.




 
-->
-->

No comments: