Thursday, July 31, 2014

Fringe Top 10 - #4 - Brazen Theatre - The Miss Longview Texas Drag Pageant

I didn’t get the decorating gene, I didn’t get the fashion gene, and I didn’t get the drag gene - I missed a lot when they were putting together my gay portfolio as a fetus apparently.  Thankfully, my fellow homos have been very patient and generous in making up for the gaps in my education.  I still may not “get” drag, but I no longer look at it in complete befuddlement, and that’s progress.  Fringe time helps move my consciousness forward, even in the guise of comedy - and thus, The Miss Longview Texas Drag Pageant.  I appreciate the good work Mark Hooker is doing with Brazen Theatre, embracing camp and holding it up as its own particular form of art.  Plus, this has the added bonus in the cast of Erica Fields (who did an amazing job as the Duchess in the recent production of my play But Not For Love), and her wife Patience.  We’re not getting to this one until Monday, but Mom and I are very much looking forward to it.

No comments: