Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Writing Challenge - Climax (not really)


Writing Challenge – Climax (not really)

We all know it's coming. We see it on the horizon. It's the change, the bang, the kiss, the death, the capture, the freedom, the end. It's the climax.

CHALLENGE: Start your work in what appears to be VERY NEAR what should be the climax of the piece, and then draw it out. Add new obstacles. Get tantalizingly close and then have it all fall away. Keep the stakes very very high. Your characters should be pulling their hair out and gnashing their teeth with frustration.

Bonus: Don't use traditional characters or traditional desires.
Bonus: Don't have it be about sex.
Bonus: Have a plot twist reveal that brings about the climactic moment

(Author’s Note:  This is a great challenge.  But I’m afraid the guy’s are post-climax here in this scene, and it is – partly – about sex, and traditional characters and desires, with nothing too twisty.  So I will really address this challenge another day.  Right now, these new characters are still speaking to me and they're very chatty, so I have to listen and take dictation before it evaporates again - )

TV BOYFRIEND

The morning after.

JAKE has thrown on a pair of boxer briefs and is whipping up some kind of crazy eggs in a skillet at the stove.

KEN – T-shirt and sweatpants - wanders in, a little bleary-eyed.

                          JAKE
‘Morning, sleepyhead.

                          KEN
You cook breakfast, too?  Are you some kind of gay unicorn?

                          JAKE
I burn through a lot of calories in training.
I cook breakfast all the time.
Well, not all the time.
In a pinch, sometimes I just order pizza.
This didn’t seem like a pizza morning.

                          KEN
Do you normally sleep til noon?  Where do you find a pizza place that serves this early?

                          JAKE
I’ve become buds with the guy who owns this one place I really like.  He’s a fan of the team.

                          KEN
The team?

                          JAKE
Olympic team.  He doesn’t know about the gay thing.
I hope you’re hungry.  I’m still used to cooking for two, well, three.

                          KEN
You give the dog people food?

                          JAKE
Yeah, drives Billy crazy.
Used to drive Billy crazy.
Sorry, shouldn’t mention the ex.  Bad form.

                          KEN
I don’t mind.  I just don’t want to bring it up if it makes you sad.

                          JAKE
You don’t make me sad.  Billy makes me sad.  Another reason I shouldn’t mention him.

                          KEN
Where is the dog?  Moose, right?

                          JAKE
How do you know my dog’s name?

                          KEN
I confess.  I read the occasional celebrity rag.  Particularly if there are hot shirtless guys walking their dogs.

                          JAKE
Billy walks the dog now.  He got custody in the split.

                          KEN
Oh.  Sorry.

                          JAKE
Not your fault.

                          KEN
Didn’t mean to bring up –

                          JAKE
It made sense.  I’m away too much.  Moose needs more human time than I could give him.

                          KEN
So that’s what you meant about the house being too quiet.

                          JAKE
Yeah.
I miss him.
Moose.
Well, Billy, too, I guess.  Hard to break the habit.  Expecting him there, where the empty space is.
Speaking of space, get your ass over here and taste this.

KEN walks over.
JAKE holds out a taste of his egg concoction.
KEN tastes.

                          KEN
Mmmmm!  Damn.  That is weird but strangely good.

JAKE gracefully, instinctively puts down the spoon, turns off the heat on the stove, quickly turns back to KEN.

                          JAKE
Now taste this.

                          JAKE kisses KEN.

                          KEN
Mmmm.  Also weird but strangely good.

                          JAKE
You have entirely too many clothes on.

JAKE goes to peel off Ken’s T-shirt.
KEN resists.
JAKE insists, tosses the shirt aside.
KEN gets a little self-conscious.

                          JAKE (cont’d)
Hey now.  None of that.  I enjoyed it last night.  What makes you think I’m not gonna like it this morning?

                          KEN
Well, it’s not like I’m –

KEN gestures futilely at Jake’s body, words abandoning him.

                          JAKE
You go mute at the weirdest times.
     (trying to finish Ken’s sentence)
It’s not like you’re – 24? Me? A professional athlete?
I know.  I didn’t take me home last night, I took you home.
If you’re cold, get over here and cuddle up to me at the stove.  I won’t bite – unless you ask nicely.

KEN wraps his arms around Jake’s waist from behind.
JAKE can’t suppress a grin as he works.
KEN rests his chin on Jake’s shoulder for a moment, until he notices something.

                          KEN
Did I give you all these scratches?

                          JAKE
I think I found your sweet spot somewhere in the middle of round four, and I just kept hitting it.  That’s when you started to dig into my back and shoulders.

                          KEN
You should have said something.  I don’t want to hurt you.

                          JAKE
I could say the same to you, buddy.

                          KEN
I wasn’t exactly screaming for you to stop.

                          JAKE
I noticed.  Dude, I’ve had more broken bones than any five random people you can think of that you know combined.  A little human touch isn’t gonna kill me.
I might ask you to trim your nails ‘fore the next go round, though.

                          KEN
Sorry, I’ve been growing them out a little because of my guitar lessons.

                          JAKE
You play guitar?

                          KEN
Not well.  My hopeless lack of coordination extends to my fingers on strings, apparently.  Progress is slow, but steady.  Music will eventually emerge.  If this becomes a regular thing, maybe I’ll subject you to me playing something sometime.

                          JAKE
*If* this becomes a regular thing?

                          KEN
I didn’t want to presume.

                          JAKE
I almost never bring anyone back to my place.
I almost always go to theirs.
I almost never stay til morning.
I can’t remember the last time I cooked breakfast for somebody other than Billy or Moose.
I haven’t felt this good in months.
You’re the gay unicorn here, pal.

                          KEN
Like an idiot, I feel compelled for some reason to argue with you on that point.

                          JAKE
Then we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
As far as I’m concerned, you are the prize in this box of Crackerjack.
I don’t want to presume either, but if you want a regular thing, I’m offerin’.
I’m a sucker for a guy who plays guitar.
Now snuggle up and keep me warm.  Breakfast is almost served.

A companionable silence.
Then KEN can’t help himself.  He winces, almost stops himself, then asks the big question -

                          KEN
What went wrong?

                          JAKE
With Billy?

                          KEN
Yeah.

                          JAKE
Closet’s a bitch, man.
It’s all tied to my career so after a while the relationship became all about me and not about us.
I guess a guy can only feel like he’s an inconvenience for so long before he starts to resent it.
He just couldn’t stay in the dark with me anymore.
He’s still really angry about it, too.
Failure’s mine, dude.
Haven’t seen him or Moose in almost nine months.
Billy posts pictures.
He hasn’t blocked me.
Looking at how happy they are, without me, kinda hurts.

KEN kisses Jake’s shoulder.
JAKE reaches back and touches Ken’s face.

                          JAKE (cont’d)
You have anywhere you need to be today?

                          KEN
Nothing I can’t shift around.  You?

                          JAKE
A rare day off.  Could you shift those things around and hang with me?

                          KEN
Absolutely.  What’d you have in mind?

                          JAKE
Well, since I found your sweet spot, it seems a shame to let that knowledge go to waste.

                          KEN
Oh, I see now.  Just your own personal fuck puppet, am I?

                          JAKE
What?  No.

                          KEN
I’m teasing.

                          JAKE
Fuck puppet.  Who says things like that?

                          KEN
I’m hilariously inept at talking dirty.

                          JAKE
Well, there I’m gonna have to disagree with you.  You’re mighty fine in the moment.  Just don’t overthink it.

                          KEN
So, staying in?

                          JAKE
At least part of the day.  You OK with that?

                          KEN
Staying in with you?  Absolutely.

                          JAKE
Any more of your plays on stage right now?

                          KEN
Wouldn’t that be nice?  Nope, just the one.

                          JAKE
You have copies?  Could I read them?

                          KEN
Sure.  Well –

                          JAKE
What?

                          KEN
I was gonna say I don’t have any on me.  But they’re all on my computer.  Which is in my bag.  In my car.

                          JAKE
Sweet!  Can you go get it?  After breakfast, while I clean up?

                          KEN
I should at least do the dishes.

                          JAKE
My kitchen, my rules.  You go get us the entertainment.
We can read ‘em in bed.
Ooo, we can play the parts!

                          KEN
I wish everyone was so adorably psyched about reading my plays.

                          JAKE
I wanna pick apart the soldier play first but then I want to get to know the others.  They’re not all sad, are they?

                          KEN
Heck no.  I mostly write comedies, or at least stories that are ultimately positive.  Gay characters have enough unhappy endings in literature.  I’m not gonna add to that pile.  Someone needs to balance the scales.

                          JAKE
Excellent.  Eat up.  We’re gonna need those calories to burn off later.

                          KEN
Unicorn.

JAKE kisses KEN.

No comments: