Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Writing Challenge - Surprise Death (not really)

-->
Challenge: Write a serious scene where someone dies at the end but not who you think - and not for random reasons... just reasons that we didn't see coming.
Keep the scene going after the death a little longer than you "should".
Connect. See what happens.
Bonus- write the characters as people you know.
Bonus if the change causes catharsis in the audience

(Author’s Note: I have inadvertently written so many times over the last few weeks about death and grief and suicide and aging that I REALLY needed a break.  So I ignored this prompt.  The TREAT YOURSELF idea of TV BOYFRIEND actually kept nagging at me so I stopped fighting the urge and started writing the scene where Jake’s older sister Robin grills Ken, the boyfriend who is twice her brother’s age, on the day before Jake’s about to come out of the closet to the world of professional sports. I actually cried a little, and felt some catharsis, so maybe...)

TV BOYFRIEND (another scene)

KEN and ROBIN, Jake’s sister, 30s.

                          KEN
It’s good to finally meet you.  Jake talks so much about his family, it feels like I won’t really know him fully until I get a chance to know all of you.

                          ROBIN
You know why he didn’t introduce you, right?

                          KEN
Too many eyes watching.

                          ROBIN
You fixed that.

                          KEN
Excuse me?

                          ROBIN
You’ll forgive me for being suspicious.

                          KEN
You should know better than anyone that no one tells your brother to do anything.  And if they do, he’s likely to do the opposite just to prove he can.

                          ROBIN
And if you know my brother, you know that when he loves a guy, he goes all in.

                          KEN
Yes.  I admire that about him.  Most of the time, I’m not that brave.

                          ROBIN
But you are where he’s concerned.

                          KEN
Don’t you think he’s worth it?

                          ROBIN
What is he worth to you, exactly?

                          KEN
What are you asking?

                          ROBIN
Are you using him to forward some kind of agenda?

                          KEN
I’d be insulted by that question but I feel like that’d be a waste of time so – No.  No, I’m not using him to forward some kind of agenda.

                          ROBIN
He’s got a lot more to lose than you do.

                          KEN
I’m aware of that.

                          ROBIN
So as someone who loves him, why didn’t you try to talk him out of it?

                          KEN
I don’t need to.  People have been talking him out of it his entire life.  He’s internalized it.  He talks himself out of it all the time.  But the voice in his head that’s holding him back isn’t his own.

                          ROBIN
Don’t look at me when you say that.

                          KEN
Shouldn’t I?

                          ROBIN
I have always wanted him to be true to himself.  I can see what it’s cost him over the years.

                          KEN
Like what?

                          ROBIN
Guys a lot younger than you.

                          KEN
Men who wouldn’t go back in the closet for him?

                          ROBIN
Or come out of the closet with him.

                          KEN
Is any guy good enough for your brother?

                          ROBIN
Probably not.  Has he asked you to marry him yet?

                          KEN
What?

                          ROBIN
It’s legal.  It could happen.  Don’t look so surprised.  You wouldn’t be the first.

                          KEN
Now I can see why he was nervous about me talking to you alone.

                          ROBIN
And yet he still let you do it.

                          KEN
He knows I can handle myself.

                          ROBIN
Are you handling him?

                          KEN
When have you ever known your brother to be someone who can be “handled”?

                          ROBIN
Yeah.  When he‘s in love.  And I’ve never seen him in love like this with anyone before.  It scares me.

                          KEN
It scares me, too.  It scares him.

                          ROBIN
You must be great in the sack.

                          KEN
I keep the pace he sets.

                          ROBIN
That’s an impressive pace.

                          KEN
Your brother’s an impressive guy.

                          ROBIN
How did you meet?

                          KEN
He didn’t tell you?

                          ROBIN
Oh wait, you’re a playwright.

                          KEN
Yes.

                          ROBIN
The soldier play.  You wrote the soldier play.

                          KEN
Yes.

                          ROBIN
God, he could not shut up about that play for weeks.

                          KEN
     (suddenly a little sheepish)
Yeah.  That was really flattering.  That someone like him liked it so much.

                          ROBIN
Someone like him?

                          KEN
Known in his field.  Top-ranked athlete.

                          ROBIN
Famous.  A celebrity.

                          KEN
Yeah.

                          ROBIN
You want to be a celebrity?

                          KEN
What?  No.  I don’t write plays for –

                          ROBIN
Oh, come on.  He told me about that little hole in the wall theater.  How many people could really see a show like that in a theater like that?

                          KEN
Your brother did.

                          ROBIN
Don’t you want to move up to bigger theaters? Maybe write for TV or film?  That’s where the money is.

                          KEN
You’re afraid this is some kind of elaborate scheme to leverage your brother’s sports career so I can get a better class of theater production?

                          ROBIN
People have wanted stranger things from him.

                          KEN
I was just happy the play spoke to him.  I didn’t know he was gay the moment we met.  I thought my play had reached someone in a pretty macho profession and made him feel the same things my characters felt.  That seemed like a real accomplishment.

                          ROBIN
Does it seem like less of an accomplishment now, since he was just gay after all?

                          KEN
No.  Just different.

                          ROBIN
Did you fuck him the night you met?

                          KEN
He fucked me actually, but yeah.

                          ROBIN
Had to strike while the iron was hot?

                          KEN
Look, when I met your brother, I thought it was just a one-off thing.  He was pretty up front about the fact that he was closeted.  In the moment, he was really moved by what I’d written.  We talked for hours.  He didn’t come out to me until he thought the conversation was winding down and I might leave.  He wanted me to know who he was.

                          ROBIN
And that involved riding his cock?

                          KEN
Why don’t you ask him?

                          ROBIN
I have asked him.  I’m asking you.

                          KEN
Yes, when we first met, almost a year ago, he only came out to people he wanted to sleep with.  Sometimes he didn’t even do that much.

                          ROBIN
Sometimes he’d just pretend he was drunk and then deny it or laugh it off the next day.

                          KEN
If he stuck around til morning at all.

                          ROBIN
But he stuck around for the sunrise with you.

                          KEN
Every night into every dawn since we met.

                          ROBIN
You must be exhausted.

                          KEN
That night, a lot of nights, after, he just wants to talk.

                          ROBIN
What do the two of you have to talk about?

                          KEN
It’s the age difference, right?

                          ROBIN
Look, I’m ten years older than him, and you’re another ten years older than me and I don’t even know what you and I would have to talk about.

                          KEN
We seem to be doing OK so far.

                          ROBIN gives KEN a look.

                          KEN (cont’d)
He and I both have jobs we’re passionate about.  I’m interested in hearing about what he’s doing on the slopes.  He’s interested in how things are going in the rehearsal room when I’m lucky enough to get a production.  We both like weird TV shows, goofy movies, books, music.

                          ROBIN
You have the same taste in music?

                          KEN
No.  But we learn a lot from each other about groups we never knew existed before.

                          ROBIN
I’ll bet.

                          KEN
I wrote him a song.

                          ROBIN
You wrote him a song?

                          KEN
I’m learning how to play guitar.  Very early days.  I’m kind of a fumbling mess most of the time.  I’m not naturally coordinated like he is.  My fingers type but they don’t dance.  He’s very encouraging.  My teacher thought I should experiment with writing a song, and the inspiration kind of came naturally.  Him.

                          ROBIN
You wrote him a song.

                          KEN
I wrote him a song.

The realization and all its repercussions hits ROBIN at once.

                          ROBIN
Oh my God.  He is never gonna leave you.

                          KEN can’t help smiling.

                          KEN
I sure hope not.

For the first time, ROBIN can’t form words.

                          KEN (cont’d)
I love your brother, Robin.  I know that’s the one question you didn’t ask me yet but it’s the only one that counts.  I love your brother.  I know parts of what’s about to happen when he goes public are a nightmare and if I could, if I can, I would, I will shield him from as much of it as I possibly can.  With my own body if I have to.

                          ROBIN
He can fight his own battles.

                          KEN
Yes.  He can.  But he doesn’t have to do it alone anymore.

                          ROBIN
He isn’t alone.  He was never alone.

                          KEN
He had all of you.

                          ROBIN
He still does.

                          KEN
Now he’s got me, too.  But more importantly he’s got himself.  All of himself.  He won’t have to spend his time and energy hiding anymore.

                          ROBIN
My brother is not somebody’s meal ticket.

                          KEN
I have my own money.

                          ROBIN
He’s got more.

                          KEN
That’s not why I love him.  It’s not why I’m here.

                          ROBIN
He’s not just a piece of meat either.

                          KEN
I know that.  Give me some credit.  You think I’d put up with the knots the closet makes us both tie ourselves into for a whole year just because the sex was great?

                          ROBIN
I’ve stayed with men for less.

                          KEN
So have I.  And I regretted it.  But they weren’t your brother.  Your brother’s worth it.

                          ROBIN
He has so much to lose.  The sponsors.  They could evaporate in a second.

                          KEN
I know.  I worry for him.
But he’s a charismatic sonofabitch.  And he’s a looker.

                          ROBIN
And he’s got a smile that’ll stop your heart.

                          KEN
He didn’t smile much when I first met him.  He does now.

                          ROBIN
He’s at the top of his game right now.  The top.  Of his game.  Distractions can – the whirlwind he’s about to step into the middle of – if he’s in midair and he’s not thinking about the twist or the landing –

                          KEN
He could get himself killed.

                          ROBIN
He could wind up in a wheelchair.

                          KEN
The life he had.  Hiding.  Being terrified he’d let it slip.  That someone would reveal his secret.  That was distracting him and he didn’t even know it.  Until that bad landing in Telluride.

                          ROBIN
I was there.

                          KEN
You’re always there.  That’s why he trusts you.  That’s why we need you in our corner.

                          Pause.

                          ROBIN
Your plays.  Has he read them?

                          KEN
     (sheepish)
All of them.  Even the dreadful ones.

                          ROBIN
It’s one of the things you talk about.

                          KEN
Yeah.

                          ROBIN
There are copies?  Here?

                          KEN
Yeah.

                          ROBIN
I’m gonna need to borrow them.  Maybe not the awful ones.  Definitely the soldier play.  Your other greatest hits.

                          KEN
There’s a few.

                          ROBIN
Doesn’t matter.  I need to read them.

                          KEN
OK.

                          ROBIN
Because I’m going to introduce you to our parents.
And I’m going to need some ammunition.
Because our parents aren’t that much older than you.
And my father’s first instinct will probably be that he wants to kill you.

                          KEN
Yeah.  I get that.

                          ROBIN
OK.

ROBIN leaves the room without saying another thing.

KEN isn’t sure how things went.

JAKE enters.

                          KEN
Hey.

JAKE walks right up to KEN.

JAKE takes KEN’s face in his hands.

                          KEN (cont’d)
How’d I do?

JAKE smiles that smile.

He plants a kiss on KEN.  Not long, not dirty, just very deliberate.  He’s smiling behind the kiss the whole time.

                          KEN (cont’d)
Good then.

                          JAKE
You told her about the song, didn’t you?

                          KEN
I told her about the song.

                          JAKE
I love you so much in this instant if she weren’t here right now I would take you upstairs and lay you down and –

                          KEN
Jake?

                          JAKE
Yeah.

                          KEN
You need to stop talking.  I just barely got on your sister’s good side and I can not go out in that room and face her with an erection right now.

JAKE barely contains a gleeful squeal as he picks KEN up and twirls him around.

                          KEN (cont’d)
     (laughing)
Jesus, Jake.  Put me down.

JAKE puts KEN down.

JAKE takes KEN’s hand.

                          JAKE
C’mon.

They run off together to rejoin ROBIN.

No comments: