Sunday, February 20, 2005

Brush Up Your Shakespeare Redux

One of the strange things about my Fringe-going schedule was that I managed to miss every one of the shows which had a Shakespearean bent to them.

Normally, I'd go out of my way to see them, so I don't know what happened. Producing two slots and having a script of my own produced by someone else in a third cut into my schedule more than I realized, I guess.

I was a huge fan of One Man Hamlet back during Fringe 2003 (it made my pre-Fringe Top Ten and proved it more than deserved my anticipation of it).

Last year, I missed Starting Gate doing "Akespearshay," Fifty Foot Penguin doing "MacBlank," and Lakeshore Players doing "The Tamer Tamed."

This year, we've got another handful in the planning stages, some of them we're going to get to see, some we may not.

In addition to the Richard III potential double feature with Kevin Kling doing "Dick da Tird" and Girl Friday Productions planning for a Rocky Horror-style "Richard!!!," we have...

currently on the schedule...

Knighthorse Theatre Company
A Tempest…for Two
Two person adaptation of Shakespeare's Tempest. No sets, no special lighting, minimal props. Two actors, classic language and the audience's imagination.

currently waiting in the wings...

Empere
Atomic Shakespeare
A modern language take on one of the Bard's more famous works.

Fat Hamlet
A black comedy about a pastry chef who becomes involved in a murder

MN Shakespeare Project
T&C A Niff on Shakespeare's Troy & the War on Love
A company created show based on Shakespeare's Troilus & Cressida. Will focus on themes of falling in love and other mundane concerns during a time of war.
(this one kills me. I'm fond of the play Troilus and Cressida and it sounds like a great idea. Sigh. Cross your fingers.)

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

No comments: