Sunday, March 06, 2005

Fringe 2005 - Reunion of the Top Ten Class of 2004 - Many Happy Returns part deux

Ammala Dance and Music - Ammala Cabaret


It happens every year. Invariably I earmark a show to be sure and go see, or have it brought to my attention and fully mean to go, but it doesn't happen.

In 2003, it was Tom Cassidy. Though he guested on my TV show, Cue to Cue, as part of the six Fringe spotlight episodes, I didn't get to see his production of "The Hanging of Pollyanna" that year. Finally saw him last year in his 2004 Fringe outing, Osama Kincaid, Painter of Terror - loved it, as I knew I would, which only made me all the sorrier I missed the opportunity to see him before.

In 2004, not only did Ammala Dance and Music guest on Cue to Cue, but they were actually on my pre-Fringe Top Ten. So I was really planning to catch them in action, and still didn't manage to do it.

Not that they were probably hurting for audience members. They were one of the most popular dance productions in the 2003 Fringe with their showcase, "On The Beaded Fringe" and likely repeated that showing with their followup in 2004 - "On The Beaded Fringe 2: Traveling In Hip Circles."

And they're back on the schedule again this year with Ammala Cabaret:

"A modern Middle Eastern music and dance theater celebration including dance, live music, spoken word, and video."

Having seen an example of their work when they came on the TV show, I know their shows are full of life, energy, and sly humor, and their enthusiasm for what they do is infectious. I'm gonna see if I can get it right and see them this year. 2005 Fringe audiences have a chance to do the same - whether they've seen them before and are back for more, or just curious what all the chatter's about.

You can find out more about Ammala and its work by visiting their site - www.ammala.com

[To see the full list of some of my favorite returnees from Fringe 2004, click here

...including
- Claire Simonson (2004's The Origin of Consciousness in The Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind)
- Jen Scott and Tim Uren (2004's 10,000 Comic Books among many others)
- Theater Latte Da (2004's Knock!)
- Aspect I Studios (2004's The Judas Cradle)

To see the full list of some of my favorite returnees from Fringe 2003, click here.

...including
- Rik Reppe (2003's Staggering Toward America)
- Kevin Kling (2003's Baseball, Dogs and Motorcycles)
- Ballet of the Dolls (2003's Beauty and The Beast)
- Rhino Productions (2003's The Hobbit)]

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

No comments: