Thursday, December 01, 2016

Writing Challenge 2016 #30 - Finality


NWC #30- "FINALITY" Dec 1st at 8am

OKAY! YOU MADE IT!
or you didn't and that's okay too

Tomorrow I'll send a final email with the official numbers. To get those, I'll look at whomever posts the final date and after 48 hours send you a Paypal link for your prize winnings!
If you did NOT finish the challenge but DID write a post on the final date, please email me so that I correctly calculate the winnings. So far it looks like we have 47 authors still in the running. Amazing!


The climax in movies can happen behind a character's eyes because we can ZOOM IN. A realization that they are in love. A sense of finality. An awakening, etc

These are terrible climaxes for theater.
Theater requires a physicalization of the action- especially if it's a climax!
So a realization that someone is in love would result in an ACTION of... tearing up the letter, running out the door, pulling the trigger, etc.

*CHALLENGE= write a climax that has a stage action so huge it takes down the stage, the curtain, the risers, and everything with it. *

Two large forces are coming together and there can be but one ending.
OR
Two very small forces cause a chain reaction that results in...
OR
Prove me wrong. Write a climactic action that DOES take place behind someone's eyes and then physicalize it through scenic, sound, lighting, and costume design. USE ALL FOUR!

Running dry?
Browse this list of Catch 22s from Reddit and see if it inspires you
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ndah5/what_catch22s_have_you_encountered_in_real_life/




(Not with a bang, but still struggling to figure out how this last bus play works.  More grandma and goddaughter talk...)


BUS PLAY #4, part 3

(previously)

                          WOMAN
I'm light, but I'm strong.  There's a difference.  You don't live to be one hundred years, one month and one day if you're prone to fall apart when life bats you around.

                          GIRL
Did you know who I was?


                          WOMAN
It came and went.  I couldn't hold onto you in my head.  We had a picture of him holding you after your baptism ceremony.  You're both smiling.  Of course you're still an infant, just nine months old, more baby than the person you are now.  We had a picture on the lazy susan in the middle of the kitchen table.  The salt and pepper and sugar, a picture of President Obama smiling, I loved that picture, and then the picture of the two of you.  I kept forgetting you were his goddaughter and thinking you were his daughter, and I kept wondering why he didn't bring you with him whenever he visited.  Where you were.  I don't think I forgot he was gay, but I think I was confused where his partner was, where the other parent was, since he had a child.  If you hadn't been on the kitchen table where I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, I probably wouldn't have been as confused.  I'm glad I know you now.

                          GIRL
I'm glad I know you, too.

                          WOMAN
We're connected in his head, even if we never met.

                          GIRL
The women in his life.

                          WOMAN
Yes.

                          GIRL
I wonder if I'll remind him of you, when I'm older.

                          WOMAN
I'm sure he'll tell you stories.

                          GIRL
Will he forget me, do you think?

                          WOMAN
I didn't forget him.  I mean, I couldn't have told you who he was, but he obviously loved me, so I figured I must love him, too.  If he was taking care of me at the end, then I must have done something right.  But no, I don't think he'll forget you.  I don't think you'll let him.

                          GIRL
I wish I understood the brain.

                          WOMAN
Me, too.  We have everything for so short a time, though.  It's hardly worth worrying about, is it?  Just appreciate it because you know it doesn't last.


No comments: