Saturday, July 20, 2024

Fringe 2024 Top 10 - #4 - Transition: A Story of Two Trans People Becoming Themselves - Emily Boyajian


Transition: A Story of Two Trans People Becoming Themselves
Emily Boyajian

Two trans people experience the joy of living authentically, face internalized transphobia, overcome their self-doubts to find happiness outside of the gender binary, and sing with music from a live orchestra!

Venue: Mixed Blood Theatre
Tagged For: Drama, Musical Theater, Opera, Political Content, LGBTQIA+ Content
Content Warnings: Other Divisive Content
Ages 12-15 and up

It addition to the queer content tag, which is always a good starting place for me when looking for shows…

It’s the only show using the Opera tag this year.  Makes me curious.

And even though it says its about two people and doesn’t have a solo show tag, there’s only one actor/singer listed in the cast.

Everyone else listed is a musician.

And they have a cello, a clarinet, a double bass, a flute, a French horn, an oboe, a trumpet, a viola, and two violins.

I have zero idea how this show is going to play out, but I’m extremely curious to watch how these elements manifest the show described in the synopsis.

If nothing else, I’m not likely to find a show with more musical instruments in one place this year.

This might just be a me thing, but I’m gonna follow my instincts and see where they lead on this one.

 

Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10 list and Top 11-20 list, also a full list of all returning favorites to this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2024 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage.

While I have your attention, please VOTE :) 

Minnesota is currently in the early voting period for our Congressional and local primaries (I had the U.S. Senate, Congress, and the Minneapolis school board on my ballot) - final day to vote in the primary is Tuesday, August 13th, but you don't have to wait until Fringe is over, go vote right now :)

Early voting for the Presidential Election itself in Minnesota starts on Friday, September 20th. We're lucky to have a lot of time to get our voices heard, so cast your vote, and then make sure everyone you know and love is registered and gets to the polls to vote. Election Day, your final date to vote, is Tuesday, November 5th.

As a queer playwright and theater maker, I want a government that's compassionate and competent enough to keep us all safe and healthy, keep theaters open and running, and personally, I'd just like to be legal myself and keep the weirdos out of government and out of my personal business (and the things I post on this blog, for instance). We all have our reasons, so let's make sure we get the leaders we need and deserve, and get our friends, family and co-workers to raise their voices, too.

Find where to vote and what's on your ballot (with links to candidate websites) and other resources at the Minnesota Secretary of State's website.

For other resources on how to register, volunteer or donate, locally or nationally, check out Vote Save America.

Vote.  Raise your voice. We're not going back.

  

 

No comments: