Friday, June 18, 2010

Fringe 2010 - Returning Favorites - Shelby Company

Of the 54 different shows I saw last year at the Fringe, there were only two I loved so much that I found a way to go back and see them a second time.

Only one of the companies that produced those memorable shows is back again in this year's Fringe.

That would be Shelby Company.

Their show this time around...

Uncle Shelby’s Traveling Treasure Trunk

- described as "A scaled down traveling version of the Shelby Company Cabaret"

This could be a variation on their current production...

Uncle Shelby's WunderPantry of Possibility

which is described thusly...

"A cabal of talented, emerging writers create a plethora of material. Through alchemy and editing they summon up a cohesive evening of mischievous merriment that zigs, zags and finds a straight path to the brain, heart and lungs. This inspired collection of music, scenes, jokes, theatrical burps and dramatic hiccups will make you laugh, gasp and think.

written by Jonathan A. Goldberg, Dan Moyer and Ben Forster"


Dan Moyer wrote last year's mind-bogglingly good Shelby Company Fringe show "Winnemucca (three days in the belly)" - a script so good just reading Scene 1 vaulted them into my Top 10 list for the 2009 Fringe. The production itself lived up to the script's promise - 5 stars all the way. (Plus they did a wonderfully odd preview at the Out of Towner showcase.) And the Shelby Company folks were also delightful people offstage.

And if you need more convincing, read this, or some of this...

So I was mighty happy to hear Shelby Company's number get called in the Fringe Lottery back in February.

And I almost don't care what they're doing. Whatever it is, it's going to be good. And I'm gonna be there, with Mom in tow, opening weekend.

If this blog is good for anything, hopefully it'll help spread the word and swell their audiences. Shelby's coming from New York, the least we can do is cross town to see them at whatever venue they're at.

I see a lot of theater. I don't get excited about a lot of theater. Shelby Company does theater I get excited about. Give 'em a look.

You can learn more about them at www.shelbycompany.org

My coverage of them last year can be found via the links above, or here, here, and here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the advice! I am setting out to Fringe on Thursday evening, and now I know what to do with my 7pm slot! Uncle Shelby's Traveling Treasure Trunk it is.