Monday, June 28, 2010

Shameless Plug of the Day - Kick My Asthma

"Between an asthma attack, an induced coma, and myriad other medical misadventures, Allison Broeren and her boyfriend and sometime performing partner Marlow have had a woefully eventful year. But never fear -- you can help, and all by attending the wildest, weirdest fundraiser this side of the Mason-Dixon line."

I really can't top that as an opening line, and so I scavenge the press release.

This Tuesday night, June 29, 2010

Kick My Asthma
a fundraiser for Allison Broeren and Marlow
featuring the Rockstar Storytellers

Raffle at 7pm
Performances start at 8pm


Recommended donation of $7.00 at the door

All at Kieran's Irish Pub's new location on Block E in downtown Minneapolis (600 Hennepin, Suite 170 - the corner of 6th Street and 1st Avenue)

I've often written before about the talented and enthusiastic Allison Broeren both in the context of her solo shows in the Fringe, and her work as a spoken word guru. In fact, they quoted me in the press release for the fundraiser. She's good people. Smart, funny, and enormously entertaining. (More official bio below.)

Her boyfriend Marlow made a hilarious cameo as both a shark, and a drunken sea captain in Allison's Fringe show last year. So, though I don't know him all that well, that brief bit of stage time makes me think of him fondly.

I can't think of two people more deserving of a break, and the roster of talent involved makes it wonderfully entertaining and easy for us all to do so.

The evening features raffle prizes and performances by some of the Twin Cities' leading spoken word artists, including Rockstar Storytellers Laura Bidgood, phillip low, Courtney McLean, Ben San Del, and Joseph Scrimshaw, as well as special appearances from Allison's co-Slam Master Wonder Dave, Northstar Storytellers Paula Reed Nancarrow and Katherine Glover, Monday Night Comedy Show host Andy Brynildson, and creator of the Fringe hit "Parry Hotter and the Half-Drunk Twins" Tom Reed!

WARNING: This show contains adult language.

Can't think of a better thing to do on a Tuesday night, or an easier seven dollars, or more, to part with, given that line-up. Join me there, won't you. I fear I shall miss the raffle because I'm working the second job, but I'll head on over as soon as I'm off duty to put my money in the jar and show some Fringey/artist solidarity.

BIO

Allison Broeren is the co-Slam Master of the Minneapolis Poetry Slam at Kieran's Irish Pub. Allison comes from a competitive speech background and performed her first one woman show, All the Things I Never Told My Mother, in the 2007 Iowa and Minnesota Fringe Festivals. She has detailed her long medical struggles in 2008's I'll Marry You For Health Insurance, and teamed up with Marlow in 2009 to perform My Sinking Ship. She has also performed in Women Stand Up! A Comedy Cabaret, been on KFAI's Write On! Radio, and finished a writing mentorship through Intermedia Arts and SASE: The Write Place.

PRAISE FOR ALLISON BROEREN

"Her words come out at such a dazzling rate...it's a flurry of clever turns, comical juxtapositions, and the occasional random pop cultural reference that elevates everyday conversation to an art form."

- Matthew Everett, Twin Cities Daily Planet

Take it from me, and me, you want to be there.

No comments: