Speaking of improvisation, here’s yet another great reason to get out to Strike Theater and see a show this Fringe season (I’ve already covered two other, very different, great reasons to go, and this show just adds to the pile of great stuff we have in store at Strike)
Once again, as with last Fringe’s 5-star improvised one-act comedy Rec League, and 2024’s Camp Out, and 2023’s The Windblown Cheeks of Lovers, Mike Fotis has gathered a crew of the very best improv comedians - Rita Boersma, Amber Bjork, Shanan Custer, Tim Hellendrung, Anna Hickey Fotis, Nels Lennes, Jim Robinson, James Rone (and Mike Fotis himself, of course). With Mike directing, the group has been playing around with yet another concept for an improvised one-act, this time diving into the bowels of the theatrical creation process itself.
As the show image says: Tech: The Show Opens Tomorrow - It’s Not Looking Good.
Description:
This year's Fringe show opens tomorrow. The props are assembled. The actors have memorized (most of) their lines. The director has blocked the show. There’s only one thing left to do…TECH THE SHOW.
Venue - Strike Theater
Content Warnings - Adult Language
Genre and Content - Comedy, Improv
Ages 16 and Up
Some further amusing context from their show page:
“What happens when everything you're working on falls apart? Does it even matter? What keeps us creating art as we move through adulthood? ....It's sure as fuck not the money. An improvised one act devised to feel like a documentary live on stage.”
Theater people will probably laugh the loudest, but I know next to nothing about baseball, camping or creating a television miniseries and I laughed my butt off at Fotis’ last three shows listed above. I’m expecting everyone will get plenty of guffaws out of this Fringe show, whether you’ve ever set foot onstage or backstage or not.
Very much looking forward to it. There are few sure things at a Fringe, but a Mike Fotis show has to be on that short list. Fotis has been too prolific an artist for anyone to have caught every single thing he’s ever done on stage, but from a few years before Mike landed on my pre-Fringe Top 10 list back in 2007, I’ve tried to catch as many Mike Fotis productions as I can, because I need the laughs, and I appreciate his jaundiced eye for the absurdities of life, and his open heart toward the flawed human beings we all are, just trying to get to the other side of whatever we’re currently stuck in the middle of.

No comments:
Post a Comment