Monday, July 27, 2026

Fringe 2026 Top 10 - #1 - Wells Farnham - Stage Presents


Stage Presents 

Description: 
Third Fringe, and Wells thinks he's figured out the game. And he wants to share it with you! Work disasters, spirit world snafus, post Pearl Jam snacks, bootleg CDs, stories that'll make you go, "Oh Geez!"
Venue - Southern Theater
Content Warnings - Adult Language
Genre and Content - Comedy, Solo Show, Storytelling
Ages 16 and Up

Apparently, I started writing this blog post a year ago with my review of Wells Farnham’s previous show in the 2025 Fringe, “I Have Griefances”

Wells quotes me on the More Information tab of his show page on the Fringe site:

"I Have Griefances - solid recommendation from friends on this one; Wells Farnham delivers a very funny solo show that is oddly sweet despite all the profanity, in tribute to the multiple members of his family that keep coming down with various strains of cancer ... By the time you read this, it might be too late to catch Wells Farnham’s final performance of "I Have Griefances"... but make a note in your Fringe journal for later.  Because Wells Farnham is a determined artist, who will keep coming back to the Fringe (wait list or no), as long as he has stories to tell.  And I’m sure he’s just getting started.  So if you don’t manage to catch him this time, keep an eye out for him next time around, and make him part of your Fringe scheduling plans.  5 stars - Very Highly Recommended - Single White Fringe Geek"

And the title of his show this year I think comes from a backhanded compliment he also quotes from another review of last year’s show in the Pioneer Press:

“What Farnham lacks in natural stage presence, he makes up for in sheer enthusiastic force of will, making his solo monologue deeply entertaining.”

Stage presence

Stage Presents

(I love a good homonym) (I think it’s a homonym, anyway, good joke out of the gate with the title)

I also love a performer with a well-tuned self of humor about themselves and their work.

Something else I said in my review was that the show was:

“a skilled piece of comedic storytelling.”

And I ended the show by saying:

“The good storytelling is already there - people just need to find it.”

So, if this post can give his new show a boost, I’m happy to do it.

My full review has still more compliments about Wells and his show so you can read that if you need further convincing.

Also, the press packet materials have this extra pitch:

“Wells Farnham is a veteran Twin Cities improvisor/storyteller/comedian.  After spending several years as a perennial waitlister, he debuted in the 2023 MN Fringe Festival with, "Wells Is Third On The Waitlist."  He came off the waitlist again for the 2025 festival with his sophomore effort, "I Have Griefances."  And something happened this year that's never happened before, he got picked in the lottery.  He returns this year with, "Stage Presents."  Wells continues to explore what it means to be a solo fringe artist, and what exactly makes a fringe show, while also trying to connect with audiences with stories and ideas that are grounded, silly, relatable, and ridiculous.”

Last year, the vagaries of the Fringe schedule weren’t working in Wells’ favor, as his performances were all front-loaded in the first half of the festival, with his final performance on a Wednesday, didn’t even make it all the way to closing weekend for word of mouth to help him out a bit more.

This year, Wells does at least have one performance in the back half of the festival, but it’s on Sunday of closing weekend - his other four performances are all front-loaded again, this time with his next to last, rather than last, performance on Wednesday of Fringe week.

So don’t wait, catch him early.

That’s my plan.

Turns out, he has a show on opening night of the festival, and it’s in the same venue right after another show I wanted to see early and help spread the word about as well.

Southern Theater, 5:30pm, opening night, opening slot, is Tyler West’s show “Small Minded” - which I wrote about in my Returning Favorites coverage.

7pm slot right after that at the Southern?  Wells Farnham, Stage Presents.

My opening night this year is rapidly taking shape.

 

 

No comments: