Sunday, August 01, 2010

Fringe 2010 - Fringe-For-All #2 - People Dissing My Union But I Like Them Anyway

A returning favorite from my pre-Fringe Top 10 List in 2006 (actually more than one Top 10'er here...) back in the Fringe and getting in a good dig at union rules...

A Nice Guy's Guide to Awkward Sex

Ben San Del

"From the creator of last year's encore-winning 'Animal Cracker Genocide' and past hits 'Mittens for Fat Kids' and 'Strawberry Fields Temporarily.'

WHAT?
Fringe veterans Ben San Del (writer/producer), Amber Preston, Phillip Low (co-writer), and Natalie Rae Wass* star as fledgling stand-up comics who force each other to embrace the embarrassments of love while evading the dangers of being "nice."

*Member, Actors' Equity Association"


(Also my union, since I used to be a stage manager, and still keep up my dues...)

Perhaps my favorite line in a Fringe-For-All preview this year, Ben San Del explained that the fourth member of his cast, Natalie Rae Wass, could not be on stage as part of the preview because she was a member of Actors Equity Association, "which does not allow her to be taped, or have fun."

Hee.

"CAN YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC?
It's about comedians learning how to survive a career entertaining drunks in dive bars. If I tell you more it will spoil the show.

NOT ENOUGH. I STILL NEED MORE DETAILS.
Now you're just messing with me because you know I'm too nice to stand up for myself."


Amber Preston, Ben's evil sidekick for the preview, undermining him at every turn, was in a Fringe show last year with the heartwarming title "I'd Kick Puppies for You" (which I'm still worry I missed. I mean, c'mon. Kicking Puppies.)

The unseen Wass is going on her 11th Fringe show. And phillip andrew bennett low, well, more on him in another post. I need more space. (Surprise, surprise)

Ben gets good press from a variety of sources, and got a 5 star review out of me in last year's Fringe. As always, I'm looking forward to more.

But in addition to their amusing Fringe-For-All preview...



...what could be better than documenting a fake rivalry with popular Fringer Tom Reed (for their Fringey Awards video entry)?



Again, hee.

His website - bensandel.com

His Fringe page

No comments: