Sunday, November 06, 2022

Why I Voted for Moriarty for County Attorney

Polls don't vote. News coverage doesn't vote.  People do.  Get out there and make your voice heard.

Last day of early voting is Monday 11/7.  Last day to vote is Election Day on Tuesday 11/8. 

The Minnesota Secretary of State's website has all the information you need to vote, including how to register on the day you vote, if you haven't already gotten yourself registered.  Minnesota makes it so easy to vote, so please do.

The "What's On My Ballot?" tool shows you everyone running for each office that's on your ballot where you live and vote, and if there are candidate websites, it gives you the link to them to learn more about them.  It's amazingly helpful for doing your homework on who to vote for (and who NOT to vote for).

This one is a case of dueling endorsements.

Mary Moriarty, in addition to having a career as a public defender, has endorsements from Attorney General Keith Ellison and Rep. Ilhan Omar, both of whom I voted for and whose opinion I value. (If you feel the opposite way about those two people, then those probably aren't as positive a sign for you as they are for me.) In addition she's got the endorsement of the Minnesota Democratic Party, and organizations supporting the causes of women's reproductive health, labor unions, and LGBTQ equality, to name a few.

I wanted to vote for the BIPOC female candidate here, but the first thing that gave me pause was an endorsement from Mayor Frey of Minneapolis - which will automatically get you the side eye from me.  Their other endorsements are police and sheriffs' organizations, which I wish didn't make me suspicious, but they do.  And I naively thought the Star Tribune editorial board wasn't as conservative as they've turned out to be in recent election cycles, so that nod doesn't hold as much sway for me as it once did.


No comments: