Sunday, November 06, 2022

Why I Voted for Walz for Governor

Polls don't vote. News coverage doesn't vote.  People do.  Get out there and make your voice heard.

Last day of early voting is Monday 11/7.  Last day to vote is Election Day on Tuesday 11/8. 

The Minnesota Secretary of State's website has all the information you need to vote, including how to register on the day you vote, if you haven't already gotten yourself registered.  Minnesota makes it so easy to vote, so please do.

The "What's On My Ballot?" tool shows you everyone running for each office that's on your ballot where you live and vote, and if there are candidate websites, it gives you the link to them to learn more about them.  It's amazingly helpful for doing your homework on who to vote for (and who NOT to vote for).

There's a positive and a negative to everything on the ballot.

Reasons to vote for your person and against the other person.

Against Jensen: His stand against a woman's right to choose, abortion, reproductive rights, whatever you want to call it.  I don't think anyone without a uterus gets to have an opinion this.  (There's a bunch of other reasons but this is the main one for me.)

My goddaughter's bodily autonomy is not up for debate, nor is her little sister's.

My stepmother once asked me when I had a similar negative reaction to another anti-choice Republican if I really wanted to be a single issue voter on this and disregard a candidate just because of this one position and my answer was, and still is "yeah, that's a deal breaker."

For Walz: how he handled two really significant events

The pandemic - I lost a job when the theaters shut down, but I'm still glad Walz did it because more people are alive today because of it than there would have been if he'd been one of those "keep the state open at all costs" morons.  There are less dead Minnesotans because of Walz.  Did the loss of business suck?  Yeah.  Do I blame him?  No, I blame the federal government response under the previous administration that tried to pretend it wasn't a problem and fudge the numbers and ignore the science and hope it was a big city blue state problem, etc. etc., etc.  I blame the selfish, stupid people at the top for not making the hard decisions and putting it in the laps of each and every governor rather than leading by example at the federal level.

Let's not forget over a million people are dead.  And over 350 on average currently are still dying every day from COVID-19.  The health experts said no matter what we did, the first 200,000 dead were baked in from the start as a lost cause.  If we'd made better decisions, it could have stopped there.  The other 800,000 plus dead Americans were a choice to live with the collateral damage rather than do the hard work. F**k the T***p administration.  People should be in jail just for that, and it's not even part of the discussion.  Anyway, thank God we had a governor with a brain and a heart.

The murder of George Floyd - the protests in the daytime, and the criminal behavior at night were two different things that some people like to conflate together.  Do I blame Walz for an inept response to the unrest?  No, I blame Mayor Frey (who's re-election I did NOT vote for).  Walz stepped in when Frey was clearly in over his head and not able to deal.

Walz also has Flannigan by his side, which is another plus.

It wasn't a hard decision.

 

No comments: