Sunday, July 25, 2004

Random Suggestions

A new feature to the Fringe site this year has me giggling. I just ran across it early this morning.

I hit the page for The Judas Cradle and at the bottom it says...

People who scheduled this show also scheduled:
AKESPEARESHAY
Fast Fringe #1: The Agony
Fast Fringe #2: The Ecstasy
MacBlank
Comedy Against Racism

OK, so we go from science fiction to Shakespeare to ten minute plays to Shakespeare to liberal standup. Cool.

I clicked over to my play Dandelion Snow and got the following...

People who scheduled this show also scheduled:
Dressing Room
Death Penalty Puppetry
The Valets
Look Ma No Pants: The Last One
Comedy Against Racism

So we go from my gay romantic comedy, to site specific theatre in a dressing room, to the killer puppets, to another gay play, to the Scrimshaws to liberal standup again.

Putting on my producer's hat, I checked out Fast Fringe 1...

People who scheduled this show also scheduled:
Look Ma No Pants: The Last One
Death Penalty Puppetry
Fast Fringe #2: The Ecstasy
In Defense of Sin (My Friends' Best Stories)
Improv A Go-GO: Deathmatch

Ten minute plays to Scrimshaws to killer puppets to more ten minute plays to Ministry of Cultural Warfare to improv.

And then took a look at Fast Fringe 2...

People who scheduled this show also scheduled:
Fast Fringe #1: The Agony
Look Ma No Pants: The Last One
Death Penalty Puppetry
In Defense of Sin (My Friends' Best Stories)
10,000 Comic Books

Ten minute plays to ten minute plays to Scrimshaws to killer puppets to MOCW to graphic novel improv

My favorite so far has to be clicking over to Patrick and James: A Love Story

People who scheduled this show also scheduled:
Dressing Room
The Great Masturbators
The Valets
ASSASSINS by Stephen Sondheim & John Weidman
Death Penalty Puppetry

Gay love story to a play entitled The Great Masturbators. Hilarious. I suppose one could get all overly sensitive about it. "Oh right, gay people and presidential assassins! Gay people and masturbation! Gay people and a dressing room - are you implying something?! Gay people putting puppets to death!" But hey, it's not a homophobic computer, it's based on other people's schedules. (Heck, I'm one of the people who has The Great Masturbators and Patrick & James on my draft schedule. And Assassins, and Valets, and the puppets).

It's a great way to get people to click over to plays they might not otherwise have peeked at. Another great Fringe site way to mix different audiences and different shows together. And the really cool thing is it'll keep changing as more people use the site to build their schedules.

So check out those lists. They're a heck of a lot of fun. And you might get a good show out of it you weren't expecting.

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick correction, sir! 10000 Comic Books is fully scripted, not improv. Thank you! Carry on.

Tim U