Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fringe 2009 - FFA 1 - Death Camp Diaries

"Like many others, my show is not yet written."

Howard Lieberman

Death Camp Diaries

If there had been no Holocaust, would Israel exist today? If not, how, if at all, would the world be different today? In search of answers, this anti-religious, devoutly agnostic secular Jew visits some of Europe's most notorious former death camps. What I bring home (on July 28th, a mere two days before the show opens) is whatever I find buried beneath the ashes of hate. This raw piece will be interactive, and demand a level of honesty from both performer and audience seldom seen on stage, even in a Fringe show.

You know what? I'm going.

I'd pretty much decided that before, but after Howard's non-preview, I'm sold. He admitted that he struggled, as any good agnostic secular Jew would, against his friend the rabbi who wanted Howard to accompany him on a tour of the concentration camps of Europe. "It'll turn into my Fringe show. And I've *finally* got a good venue this year!"

But he couldn't resist. And I think I'll be glad that he gave in.

If anyone can make the well-trod artistic soil of the Holocaust as subject matter into something fresh, and compelling, and even funny - after everything we've seen over the last 60-plus years since that nightmare happened, then it's Howard.

He just dropped me a message saying he'd love to spend a few minutes chatting about his show.

I think I'd love that, too, Howard. (Note to self to make it happen)

He went out on the red light, but Howard was always going to take the full time allotted to plug his show, and good for him.

His show page

His blog - hlieberman.wordpress.com

No comments: