Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fringe 2009 - FFA 1 - Thin Mint

"That's some pretty tasty sh*t."

The Bakery Theatre Company

Thin Mint

From the creators of Audish comes an all new comedy...

Secrets, Sexuality, and the Pinewood Derby. Deep within the darkness of the Chessapeake Hills, a troop's misadventure to scatter the ashes of a fellow scout takes a dangerous turn for the worst when they become entangled with "Thin Mint dealers".


I wasn't among the many followers this group had last year with their first Fringe show, Audish, but with this one, they've hooked me. I was looking forward to this one ever since I read their blurb (above) at the Fringe Lottery. The high camp factor (no pun intended - OK, pun intended) implied in the synopsis was born out in most amusing fashion in the preview. A scout with his face slathered in chocolate from a forbidden Thin Mint Cookie binge. A scout straight out of the Hitler youth movement having a Freudian slip and intoning, "The unrighteous get what they deserve!" A troop leader who uses "toughening them up" as excuse to beat young men down. And a fellow scout wandering around in pajamas in a manner so effeminate he was practically pranching. It's probably good they had to stop at the red light, three minute mark (don't want to give everything away before the show), but I would happily have sat through more silliness of that variety.

I know I probably shouldn't be enjoying this one as much as I am, but I can't help myself. It's low brow and it's naughty but what the hell? (I didn't realize the opposite of pansies is "mansies," but you learn something new every day, right?) This is one of a handful of Fringe shows this year that just get my "guilty pleasure" vote.

Pretty tasty sh*t, indeed.

Their blog - http://boyscoutbite.wordpress.com/

Their show page

And of course, there's a video trailer...

No comments: