Friday, July 24, 2009

Fringe 2009 - FFA 2 - Two Bowls of Cereal and Some Bacon

"Everyone seems so happy, like they've never cried a day in their lives."

Rock Dude Productions

Two Bowls of Cereal and Some Bacon

Mahmoud recalls heart-rending childhood memories from meeting a Mystery Girl and tolerating racial slurs, to playing Nintendo and confronting an abusive stepfather. He can't promise cereal or bacon, but he can promise truth.

I'm pulling for Mahmoud Hakima to be a success this Fringe and here's a couple of reasons why...

His storytelling is simple and straightforward, but very effective. There's humor and emotion, but nothing over the top. Nicely done. (Also, got in and out in less than two and a half minutes with the light still green - efficient.) - you can seen the video of his preview at the end of this post.

He's been a loyal Fringe audience member for several years, seeing as many shows as he can, and was inspired by other solo performers he admired to try this crazy Fringe thing himself.

The title is odd, but interesting. The publicity picture with him sitting between two cereal boxes with pictures of himself as a kid on them, some artfully arranged bacon, and a couple of bowls of cereal, is strangely welcoming. Like it's saying, "Man, what a day I've had. Come join me, let's have some cereal and chat a bit." It's kind of perfect.

His postcard was among the first I ran across this Fringe season - out at Open Eye Figure Theater where I was seeing the latest Off-Leash Area production. Like the first bird of spring.

I think I've even seen him doing some improv comedy out at Improv-A-Go-Go, a while ago now, but I'm pretty sure it was him. I like me some improv. And it bodes well for his performance skills.

He's been supportive of other Fringers in progress this season. I saw him out at Allegra Lingo's preview at the Bryant Lake Bowl earlier this month. Bonus points for staying and participating in the discussion.

He's embraced the Fringe, I think the Fringe should embrace him back. I'm trying to figure out how to make his show fit in my schedule. I recommend him to you as well.

His show page

The Fringe's YouTube page has his preview up now (I've tacked it on to the end of this post), so take a look and see for yourself...

His Fringe-For-All preview...

No comments: