Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Best of the Fringe?

The oddest thing just happened. You never know where you're going to run into a little Fringe gossip.

I had stopped on the way home from work earlier this evening at my local Apple computer store, First Tech (yes, I'm a Mac user, let the snorts of derision begin, I don't care, I'm not giving up my iBook). Anyway...

I stopped in to pick up a new, sturdier, computer bag for my (yes, it's finally here, cue the heavenly chorus) replacement computer. Goodbye, lemon. Hello, slightly larger (and much faster than my backup laptop) new iBook on the block. (Figures I'm just about done with Fringe blogging for the year.)

The receptionist at the store was chatting up a friend and was just gushing about the two shows they've chosen for remounting as Best Of The Fringe at the Loring Playhouse. My ears perked up. And they are...?

Buckets and Tap Shoes

and

Knock!

Both pleasant surprises. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised after seeing the B&TS guys and gals (or as another Matthew calls them, his "rhythm angels") strut their stuff at Fringe Central, plus that extra show of theirs added to the schedule probably should have been a clue.

And if the line I was in opening night sold out, and even Joe Dowling from the Guthrie had a hard time getting into a performance later that week (so the story goes), I suppose Knock shouldn't surprise me either. I'm extremely happy for Jim Lichtschiedl. Hopefully, they'll spell his name right this time.

Who knows if this guy was just talking out of his butt. I haven't seen confirmation anywhere yet. But it's nice even to think that a couple of underdogs might have pulled off a coup and gotten themselves a little extra time in the spotlight. Best of the Fringe runs August 20th (this Friday) through September 5th. So if you just can't let the Fringe go, this is your ticket.

[Update - I just went to Uptown Tix. It's official. They're the ones.]

Whoever the Best Of The Fringe is monetarily, overall, this was a mighty good year. (More on that later, of course. Right now, I've got a new computer to break in so I can crank out the last of these entries on a laptop that can match my typing speed.)

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

No comments: