Monday, August 09, 2004

Traffic, the endless miniseries...

Well, that sucked.

Normally, I get to a show 20 minutes or more early. Even running around with Mom, we'd still normally have ten minutes to spare.

Unfortunately, because of several roads in my neighborhood being under piecemeal, your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine-which-block-is-now-an-unpassable-muddy-ditch-today-as-opposed-to-yesterday, on top of the rush hour traffic coming in off the highways - also right by my neighborhood - all of which I thought I'd planned for - I still ended up driving around in circles for 10 to 15 minutes, and then ended up stuck behind every slow car at every red light imaginable. I pulled into the closest parking spot I can find - literally *run* to the Bryant Lake Bowl and round the corner just in time to have an usher reluctantly tell me, "Sorry, because of the way the show starts (darkness into light and all that), the actor specifically asked for no late seating." (which I understand is the Fringe policy anyway). The usher poked her head in and he'd *just* started. Too late.

Dang.

"There are bunch of other venues right near by."

I know. But all those venues don't start for another hour. And I really wanted to see this.

They helpfully looked up the two remaining show times for me.

But off I went. And here I am.

Not the ushers' fault. Not the actor's fault. Just my dumb luck.

I didn't have the heart to go to a 7pm show all cranky and blaming the show I would be watching because it wasn't the show I'd been looking forward to all afternoon.

So I'm just gonna decompress.

Blog.

And leave *really* early for the 8:30pm curtain of the next show on my list.

Metamorphoses is worth catching if, like me, you still haven't. Click on over to see on the reasons I still believe it's worth it. There's still Friday and Saturday yet. Just gotta figure out how to make it work.

Time to review a thing or two I *have* seen.

Sigh.

That's the first Fringe show that ever happened to me on. Guess that's still a pretty good track record. Live and learn (and leave earlier than you think you need to).

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

No comments: