Saturday, November 28, 2015

Writing Challenge – Dog Days (not really)


Challenge: Write a scene that is written by a dog. It's all about dog world views and
things that are important to dogs.
MAKE IT GOOD
MAKE IT A GOOD BOY
YES IT IS
YES IT IS
IT'S A GOOD, GOOD BOY

Bonus- all dog movies have the dog die at the end. I think your should too
Bonus- don't kill your dog at the end!
Bonus- make it a clear allegory for human problems
Bonus- have a character named God

(Author’s note: Also all about the dogs, normally.  This scene today didn’t go there.  But I’m pocketing this challenge for later - )

TV BOYFRIEND

Morning.

KEN, at a loss, trying and failing to find all the components to try and make a pot of coffee.

JAKE wanders in, still a little foggy, surprised to see KEN in the kitchen before him.

                          JAKE
Here you are.

                          KEN
I was trying to make coffee.
I don’t make coffee.
I don’t drink coffee.
But you drink coffee.
So I was trying to make coffee.

                          JAKE
Yeah, you clearly don’t need coffee.
What’s got you so keyed up, buddy?

                          KEN
I’m sorry.  I’m useless.  Why am I so useless?

                          JAKE
Hey, hey, none of that.

                          KEN
Who doesn’t know how to make coffee?

                          JAKE
People who don’t drink it.
People who have early rising boyfriends who make it for themselves.
People who are normally in bed at this hour so their early rising boyfriends have someone to kiss and manhandle before they roll out of bed and go make coffee.
I missed you.

                          KEN
See?  What was I thinking?

                          JAKE
Put down the coffee pot.  Step away from the filter.

                          KEN
I don’t even have a coffee-maker at home.  At my age.  What kind of strange mutant undercaffeinated freak am I?

                          JAKE
OK.  One, you’re my freak.  Two, the lack of a coffee-maker is easily solved.  At some point in the next week, the two of us will go together to a store, and find you a coffee-maker.

KEN is about to protest.
JAKE cuts him off.

                          JAKE (cont’d)
Don’t worry.  You’re paying for it.  I’m just going along so you know the right one to get.  Because you’re right, if I’m gonna start spending nights at your place – and now that we’re out in the open, I can totally spend nights at your place – you are definitely going to need a coffee-maker.   Three, what’s up?

                          KEN
I don’t think I’m ready.

                          JAKE
For - ?

                          KEN
To be the TV boyfriend.

                          JAKE
The what?

                          KEN
In the interview, you said –

                          JAKE
What interview?

                          KEN
What interview?  THE interview.

                          JAKE
The coming out story.

                          KEN
Yeah.  You were talking about how great it was going to be at the next competition to finally be yourself.  You were blue-skying and saying that maybe some people would be there with rainbow flags – and trust me, Jasper has that covered.  He’s been quizzing me about local gay-owned businesses where he can buy flags and recruit people to come out and cheer you on, and –

                          JAKE
TV boyfriend.

                          KEN
TV boyfriend.  You were talking about how the network’s always doing the personality video packages right before guys do their stunt runs of the day.  Then there’s the little live interview moments.  And then the camera inevitably picks up the friends and family of the skier, and most of the time they’ve got some hot girlfriend waiting for them at the bottom of the slope, and the camera lingers lovingly on them for a few seconds as if to say “What a lucky guy, huh?  He braves danger and this is part of his reward.”

                          JAKE
I said all that?

                          KEN
I’m embellishing.  But something you did directly say was that, you know, guys’ TV girlfriends are a regular part of the coverage and one of these days, someday soon, you really wanted a TV boyfriend.

                          JAKE
And - ?  Now I have one.

                          KEN
How did I not track on the fact that if I supported you in coming out, that our relationship was going to get dragged out into the spotlight with you?

                          JAKE
I don’t know.  But I’m not dragging anyone anywhere, if you’re not comfortable.  But you’re not my dirty little secret I’m keeping hidden away anymore either.  And it’s not like you’re not out.

                          KEN
No.

                          JAKE
I mean, WAY out.

                          KEN
I’m not a pride parade float.

                          JAKE
But everything you write –

                          KEN
Everything I write, I write for other people to perform, to direct, to design, to market.  The face is never mine.

                          JAKE
I like your face.

                          KEN
I just don’t want it to be the face of some sad stereotype.

                          JAKE
The older guy with the younger partner, how is that sad?

                          KEN
Someone’s deluding themselves.

                          JAKE
And by someone, you mean you.

KEN doesn’t respond.

                          JAKE (cont’d)
OK, for starters, you can’t latch on to everything I’m quoted as saying in an interview and assuming it’s the most important thing on my list of priorities.  Half the time, they don’t even get the quote right.

                          KEN
Did they get this one right?

                          JAKE
Yes, but the point still stands.  Interviews go in all kinds of directions, depending on the person asking the questions and the kind of story they want to tell.  If I want or need something from you, I’m going to ask you, directly.  I will not assume you know.  I will not assume you’re reading my clippings and making a scrapbook for me.  I will ask you, probably just like I did when my sister was coming to visit.  So, you’ll know when I’m asking, and you’ll enjoy the warmup act.  OK?

                          KEN
OK.

                          JAKE
And, as unhelpful as it might be right at this moment, can I just take a sec and bask in the glow of a conversation where *you’re* the one who’s feeling insecure about stuff for a change?

                          KEN
Yes.

                          JAKE
‘Cause this isn’t who you are, but it’s also not what I want to turn you into, so how do I help?

                          KEN
This is helping.

                          JAKE
You’re going to be a great TV boyfriend.  You know why?

                          KEN
Why?

                          JAKE
Because you make me look good, and I make you look good.

                          KEN
So the camera cuts to me and -- ?

                          JAKE
And you are looking, not nervously directly into the camera, because you’re never gonna know which camera it is anyway.  You’re gonna be looking up at the top of the hill, where I am.

                          KEN
Terrified.

                          JAKE
Only on the inside.  You know why?

                          KEN
Why?

                          JAKE
Because you know how hard I’ve worked for this.
You know how ready I am for this run.
And you know how much I want to get to the bottom of the hill and find you there waiting for me.

                          KEN
Rather than the paramedics.

                          JAKE
Rather than the paramedics.

                          KEN
So I’m smiling.

                          JAKE
Because you know I’m smiling.

                          KEN
And I’m so proud of you.

                          JAKE
And that is why you’re gonna be the perfect TV boyfriend.

                          KEN
Then the internet searches begin.

                          JAKE
And what are they gonna find?  They’re going to see all the stuff you write and they’re gonna understand how lucky I am, and where I found the courage to finally be myself, fully, for the first time in my life.

                          KEN
You give me too much credit.  I’m just the last step in a journey you’ve been taking your whole life.

                          JAKE
A step I couldn’t have taken if I didn’t see you waiting for me at the end of it.

                          KEN
The celebrity press it gonna chew us up and spit us out.

                          JAKE
Defensive measures.  It’s all about defensive measures.

                          KEN
There’s a list, isn’t there?

                          JAKE
Personal facebook page, private, friends and family only.  Professional facebook page is gonna be more open season.  Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat –

                          KEN
Don’t have Snapchat.

                          JAKE
Excellent.  Don’t start.  Sometimes I feel like I’m a hostage.

                          KEN
My Instagram is currently a complete blank.  I just set one up so I could follow yours.

                          JAKE
Really?  Before you met me?

                          KEN
How do you think I know what you looked like?

                          JAKE
Sports page?

                          KEN
I’m kind of addicted to your smile.  And your torso.

                          JAKE
That’s kind of adorable.

                          KEN
I can’t think of anything embarrassing on my Twitter feed.

                          JAKE
Even if there was, trying to scrub it probably wouldn’t do any good.  There’s too many sites capturing that stuff for it to totally disappear.  Mostly, don’t read the press.

                          KEN
Like theater people not reading reviews?

                          JAKE
You one of them?

                          KEN
Can’t resist the temptation.

                          JAKE
Resist this.  Especially the celebrity rags and the tabloids.  They’ll report that I’m cheating on you with women, with men, with dogs.  They’ll report that you’re cheating on me.  That I or you have AIDS, or any number of other fun sexually transmitted diseases.  Any picture where we look like crap, we’re suddenly deathly ill or hooked on drugs.  Look fat from any angle, they’ll blow that photo up til you look completely grotesque.

                          KEN
Wow.  I have so much to look forward to.

                          JAKE
You know the red flags.  If you want to skip it, I always sift and find the good stuff.  If there’s good coverage, you won’t be able to keep me from putting it under your nose.  And I’m done with secrets, I’m done with lies.  If the news is bad, I trust you with that, too.

                          KEN
I just don’t want to make your life more difficult.  Not now, when you’re finally free.

                          JAKE
I’m free because of you.  My life is better because of you.  You’re gonna be a great TV boyfriend.

                          KEN
Teach me how to make coffee?

                          JAKE
Gladly.  But while it’s brewing, I’m taking you back to bed.

No comments: