Saturday, November 21, 2015

Writing Challenge - Drinking Drunks (not really)


Challenge: Drink makes people lower their inhibitions.
Write a play where the character all become progressively more and more
drunk.
Structure possibilities:
Ticking time bomb- set it early and watch it explode
Escalate past the breaking point
Pattern establishment and breakage
Happy/Sad sandwiches

(Author’s note: Yeah, I totally ignored this challenge, too.  These other new characters from the Treat Yourself challenge keep speaking to me.  So - )

TV BOYFRIEND

The ride back from the airport.

JAKE driving, ROBIN riding shotgun.

Awkward silence.

He’s waiting.
She’s trying to figure out the best way into this conversation.

After a moment so drawn out it’s almost comical -

                          ROBIN
OK, I’m gonna start with “I love you.”

                          JAKE
Uh oh.

                          ROBIN
Are you out of your fucking mind?!

                          JAKE
I gave you a heads up about the “coming out” article because I wanted your support.

                          ROBIN
And here I thought you told me so that then I’d have the pleasure of telling mom and dad.

                          JAKE
Surprised I did that myself, huh?

                          ROBIN
Honestly?  Yeah.

                          JAKE
Still waiting for the supportive part of your visit to kick in.

                          ROBIN
You really sat down and considered all the ramifications of just unleashing this truth bomb a couple of months before the X Games?

                          JAKE
I couldn’t do another X Games carrying this secret around with me.

                          ROBIN
You mean this guy couldn’t do the X Games if you weren’t both out in the open.

                          JAKE
This has nothing to do with Ken.

                          ROBIN
Bullshit.

                          JAKE
He hasn’t been pressuring me to come out.  If anything, he’s been the one telling me to slow down and take a breath.

                          ROBIN
Then you should listen to him.

                          JAKE
I did listen to him – six months ago.  And he was right.  I needed to be sure that it was the right time for me.  But it’s years overdue.

                          ROBIN
The sponsors?

                          JAKE
I gave them all the same heads up.  *They* were actually quite supportive.

                          ROBIN
Well they have to be, in public, now don’t they?

                          JAKE
The article hasn’t dropped.  No one’s said anything publically yet.  These were private meetings.  The press statements will, naturally, be a bit more muted in their support.

                          ROBIN
Uh huh.

                          JAKE
But nobody’s dropping me.

                          ROBIN
The sneaker?  The energy drink?  The personal action camera?

                          JAKE
Their brands are all safe.  I know that’s all they care about.  It’s not like I’m slamming energy drinks so I can bone my boyfriend all night and film myself doing it while wearing nothing but a pair of sneakers.

                          ROBIN
Please God, tell me you’re not making sex tapes.

                          JAKE
What?  Ew!  No!  That was a joke.  Do you not know me at all?

                          ROBIN
You’ve been carrying your secret so long I thought you’d made your peace with it, figured out a way to compartmentalize.

                          JAKE
Oh, like that’s been a foolproof strategy up to now.

                          ROBIN
Well, hasn’t it?

                          JAKE
How the hell do you think that spectacular wipeout in Telluride happened anyway?  That was me, distracted.  What do you think’s been distracting me?

                          ROBIN
But you’ve been doing so well.

                          JAKE
I wanted to kill myself, OK?!

                          ROBIN
What?

                          JAKE
When Billy left, and took Moose with him, I wanted to die.

                          ROBIN
Jake –

                          JAKE
I didn’t want to get out of bed.  I didn’t want to eat.  I didn’t want to work out.  And those are the three things that I’m most excited about doing when I open my eyes in the morning.  I just didn’t see the point in going on anymore.

                          ROBIN
But you did.

                          JAKE
Yeah.  I forced myself.  I knew I needed to do those things if I wanted to keep skiing.  And I wasn’t gonna let Billy take that, too.
I felt so alone, Robin.
I didn’t think anyone was ever gonna love me.

                          ROBIN
That’s ridiculous.

                          JAKE
I know.  But that’s where I was.
And I couldn’t tell anybody.
I had no one to talk to.
I couldn’t say “I’m sad ‘cause my boyfriend left me AND the sonofabitch took the dog while he was at it” because they all thought he was just my “traveling buddy.”

                          ROBIN
Should I be worried?

                          JAKE
No.  I haven’t had thoughts like that in almost a year.  And you know why?  Because of him.

                          ROBIN
Ken.

                          JAKE
Yeah.

                          ROBIN
But if you break up, you’ll be right back in that same place.

                          JAKE
No, because I can finally talk about it.  Openly.
And thanks for the vote of confidence in my relationship, by the way.

                          ROBIN
A breakup wouldn’t be your fault.

                          JAKE
He’s good for me, Robin.

                          ROBIN
I’m not gonna go easy on him.

                          JAKE
I don’t expect you to.  I just need you to know how important he is to me.

                          ROBIN
Duly noted.  But if he isn’t pushing you to be out, why are you rushing into this?

                          JAKE
There are kids out there, Robin.  And they’re killing themselves.
And there are probably more important places to look for role models – political leaders, artists, people in the military – but some kids are into sports, some kids might be watching me.  How can I convince them that it’s OK to be who they are if I’m not OK with who I am?  If me coming out keeps one kid from taking their own life, isn’t any cost worth that?

                          ROBIN
I know this is gonna sound harsh, but when did these kids become your personal responsibility?

                          JAKE
They’re all our responsibility, Robin.  They always have been.  I used to be one of those kids.

                          ROBIN
Who are you and what have you done with my brother?

                          JAKE
I’m not wrong about this.

                          ROBIN
No.  But I have a right to be more concerned about you than anyone else.

                          JAKE
I’m a better man now.  Because of him.  He wouldn’t give himself that much credit but watching him walk through his days, so comfortable with who he is, that’s changed me.

                          ROBIN
You said he works in theater.  How the fuck hard is it to be gay in theater?

                          JAKE
It’s not easy being gay anywhere.  And the degree of difficulty isn’t the point.

                          ROBIN
What is?

                          JAKE
Visibility.  The more of us that are out there, the less of a big deal it is when the next person comes out of the closet.  And if the larger society is making room for us, then maybe some kid in a farming community or an oil field or a factory town thinks there might be room for them, too.  But it’s not going to become a non-event until more people step up.  It’s my turn, Robin.

                          ROBIN
Is he ready for the shit storm that you just called down on both your heads?  He better stand by you.

                          JAKE
If I haven’t scared him away by now, he’s staying put, trust me.

                          ROBIN
If he hurts you, I will have his balls on a plate.

                          JAKE
Hands off his balls, they’re mine.

                          ROBIN
God, Jake.  Gross.

                          JAKE
You brought genitalia into the discussion, not me.

                          ROBIN
He’s ready for me?

                          JAKE
I don’t think anyone’s ever ready for you, sis.  But he knows how important you are to me, too, so I’m willing to bet you find middle ground pretty quickly.

                          ROBIN
Ever the wide-eyed optimist, aren’t we?

                          JAKE
Behave.

                          ROBIN
You first.

No comments: