Monday, July 14, 2003

Do The Math

The Fringe lasts 10 days. Each day has multiple shows.

Even if you don't want to go to more than one show on a weeknight, there's still two Saturdays and two Sundays with 12 hours of programming in 20 different locations.

1 show a day is nothing, particularly if you're just going to an early evening one-hour show. Easily done. You have the rest of the evening and the bulk of the weekend to hang out and socialize with your friends around the Fringe venues all over the city.

If you just did a single show every other day of the festival - that's a Five Show Pass.

If you did just one show each day of the festival - that's an Ultrapass. $100 may seem like an expensive ticket - but it's not one ticket, it's ten tickets. Ten? Did I say ten? You can go to as many shows as you want. The more shows you see, the less they cost you and the more that Ultrapass pays for itself. Heck, I'm having to imagine someone putting a gun to my head to try and limit myself to *only* ten (which ultimately will not happen)

Too much good stuff. The Fringe is the one time of year that I treat myself to theater in bulk. Raw, uncensored, big, sloppy theater in all its live imperfect glory. I can coast on that for weeks, until the fall theater seasons kick in. It's a fun-filled vacation for my mind, and a most welcome one (right in my neighborhood). All for much less than the cost of a plane ticket.

No comments: