Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Fringe 2004 - Top 10 - Patrick and James: A Love Story
 
If You Held A Gun To My Head (10 of 10)
...or If I Could Only See Ten Fringe Shows...
...what would they be, and why?


Patrick and James: A Love Story
The Artsy Guy
Interact Center for Visual and Performing Arts

You probably weren't counting, but just in case you were, yeah, yeah, I know, I didn't get #10 out of my laptop before the Festival started. However, my mind hasn't changed.

I have been, and remain, such an easy mark for a gay love story. We've had countless coming out stories and plenty of sex in the city stories, but not nearly enough romances. It's part of the reason I write them. And it's the main reason I've been looking forward to seeing this show ever since I first heard about it back in April.

Another reason, of course, would be Kenny Kiser, who's Artistic Director of New Breath Productions and now the founder of Artsy Guy. Although being a nice guy isn't necessarily an artistic credential, it certainly doesn't hurt. He's interested in producing new and original works, both musical and non-musical. If he wants to produce gay stories for the stage as well, I say more power to him.

But really, for an hour, I just want to forget I'm single and nearly 40 and just relax into the possibility of things changing for the better.

So I'm hauling ass from Intermedia to Interact this evening, just to get a dose of this show early in the week. If I like it, I may very likely be back at the end of the festival.

Told you I was an easy mark.

For a look a the rest of my Top Ten (If You Held A Gun To My Head and I could only see ten fringe shows, what would they be and why - including reviews for those I've seen and posted), click below:

Death Penalty Puppetry
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
Metamorphoses
Philosophy: The Music of Ben Folds
The Judas Cradle
On The Beaded Fringe 2: Traveling In Hip Circles
Knock!
Improv A Go-Go: Deathmatch
10,000 Comic Books

Plus, 3 Sure Things (shows from artists on my top ten last year that are back again this year)

Plants and Animals
In Defense of Sin (My Friends' Best Stories)
Whoppers, from Kevin Kling

(For more of my writing - plays, past blog entries and more - visit www.matthewaeverett.com)

No comments: