Sunday, November 20, 2016

Writing Challenge #19 - Naked Juice

-->
NWC #19- "NAKED JUICE" DUE Nov 20th at 8am

Okay so nudity on stage... it's inherently theatrical for a while... and then it's not.
Stripping tells a story of exposure that becomes more and more dangerous (potentially)
Putting on clothes (continually) has a breaking point and is theatrical as you near it because it's not physically sustainable. People anticipate why and how.

Nudity and clothing are strong signifyers of power, of allegiance, of

Also liquids... liquids kinda don't go with clothing or skin... and also they do

Idk that's the challenge

Liquids and clothing. Baby burps. Spilled coffee. Private parts and public places. Maybe Ryan Reynolds makes an appearance
LET YOUR ID OUT OF ITS CAGE
or don't and let it play fancy dress up ;)


(well, these guys have already been naked for the debauchery challenge, and as much as I'd like to play with another bed scene - and may yet - I still didn't finish the scene from yesterday quite, so I'm plugging away at that instead...)


LOVE POTION NUMBER 9

(past scene, continued)
(previously...)

                          SARAH
Don't take this the wrong way -

                          AUGGIE
That's never a good start to any conversation.

                          SARAH
I think you touch him too much.

                          AUGGIE
Micah?

                          SARAH
It makes him uncomfortable.

                          AUGGIE
What are you talking about?

                          SARAH
You hang all over him - a lot.

                          AUGGIE
You're not actually jealous.

                          SARAH
No, you hang all over me, too.

                          AUGGIE
I'm a tactile kind of guy.

                          SARAH
And it's one of your many charms.
I, however, am married to you.
He's not.  He's gay.
And anyone who's not dumb as a post can see he's in love with you.

                          AUGGIE
What?

                          SARAH
Oh come on, Auggie.  I'm familiar with the pathology.  I know what being in love with you looks like.

                          AUGGIE
Maybe when we were in college, he'd go through periods where he'd have a little crush on me, but -

                          SARAH
A little crush, really?  Just a little?

                          AUGGIE
I'm not making him uncomfortable.  I mean, he'd say something.

                          SARAH
Would he?  Part of him, like part of any of us, doesn't mind.  It's nice - being the focus of your affection.  But he's conflicted.  He wants more, like anyone would, he knows he shouldn't, he knows it's not gonna happen, so -

                          AUGGIE
You think I'm hurting him?

                          SARAH
I don't think this is painless for him, no.

                          AUGGIE
Micah!

                          SARAH
Auggie, no, c'mon -

                          AUGGIE
No, we should talk about it, the last thing I want to do -
Micah!

                          SARAH
You two really will talk about anything, won't you?

SARAH and AUGGIE have returned to MICAH's area, where JEFFREY is still hanging out.

                          MICAH
What's up?  I could hear you bellowing.

                          AUGGIE
Do I touch you too much?

                          MICAH
Define "too much."

                          JEFFREY
Define "touch."

                          AUGGIE
Oh my God, you're dancing around the subject.  Sarah was right.

                          SARAH
It's probably best if you can sound a little less surprised when you say things like that.

                          MICAH
I'm not dancing.

                          AUGGIE
You're dancing.
Buddy, you know you can talk to me about anything.
I don't want to hurt you.

                          MICAH
You're not hurting me, exactly.

                          AUGGIE
But I'm making you uncomfortable.

                          MICAH
Uncomfortable is kind of a strong word for it.

                          AUGGIE
Well, what word would you use?

                          MICAH
Am I acutely aware every time you touch me, hug me, pick me up, put me in a headlock, take my hand and check my fingers for callouses?  Sure.

                          JEFFREY
I wish my friends would touch me like that.

                          SARAH
     (introducing herself)
I'm sorry.  Rude.  I'm Sarah.

                          JEFFREY
Jeffrey.  Don't mind me.

                          SARAH
No, we just barged back in.

                          AUGGIE
Auggie.  I was doing most of the barging, sorry.

                          JEFFREY
I just stepped in when you guys stepped away.  Gotta say hi to the man of the hour.

AUGGIE rubs MICAH's shoulders.

                          AUGGIE
I know, isn't he great?
     (catches himself, pulls away)
Oh, sorry.

                          MICAH
See, this is why I didn't say anything.  I don't want you second-guessing every time your instincts tell you to reach out and touch me.

                          AUGGIE
But -

                          MICAH
No "buts" - you be you.  I'll be me.  If I really have a problem with it -

                          AUGGIE
Do you love me?

                          SARAH
Honestly, Auggie.

                          JEFFREY
You guys are great.  I feel like I'm getting a second show.

                          MICAH
Of course I love you, don't be an idiot.  That doesn't mean you're torturing me with your mere presence or a simple touch.  I appreciate the concern - both of your concern.  But can we please stop treating me like Blanche DuBois now?  I'm made of sterner stuff, I swear.

                          JEFFREY
Whatever you say, Blanche.

                          MICAH
Give me some credit.  If I can get up on stage in front of a room full of strangers and stumble through playing and singing a song I just learned -

                          JEFFREY
You have a nice voice, by the way.

                          MICAH
Thank you.

                          JEFFREY
And I don't think it was the tweens on electric guitars and the senior citizens on ukuleles that made you look so good by comparison either.

                          MICAH
Again, I thank you.  I think.

                          AUGGIE
The thing I love is that you're learning to play through the mistakes.

                          MICAH
Oh, so you noticed the mistakes.

                          AUGGIE
Only because I know you, and the "sort of/not quite" faces you make - and I know the song.  Nobody else, except maybe your teacher, knows the tells to look for.

                          MICAH
Good.

                          AUGGIE
Plus, that one time you actually stumbled - you shrugged, smiled, and rolled your eyes and kept right on going *in time*.  Audiences eat that shit up.

                          MICAH
I use awkward to my advantage, it's my superpower.

                          SARAH
And they're off.  You and I are going to be music widows for a few minutes here, Jeffrey.  Tell me something about yourself.

                          JEFFREY
I'm dabbling in magic out in my garage.

                          SARAH
Card tricks/rabbit out of a hat kind of magic?

                          JEFFREY
No, more pagan, spells and potions kind of magic.

                          SARAH
Isn't that kind of dangerous?

                          JEFFREY
Why do you think I'm doing it out in my garage?

                          SARAH
So it's spiritual?

                          JEFFREY
Partly.  I'm really barely getting started.  I'm sort of hopping around in an introductory book.  Actual, practicing pagans would probably be horrified.

                          SARAH
That does sound dangerous.

                          JEFFREY
Reckless, probably.  But it's not like I'm trying to summon the dark lord up from the everlasting pit or anything.  All very white, not dark, magic.  I think.

                          SARAH
You dabble for a living?

                          JEFFREY
No.  It just sounds more interesting than saying "I temp for a living" as a conversation starter.

                          SARAH
True.



No comments: