Monday, November 21, 2016

Writing Challenge 2016 #20 - Quit Your Day Job

-->
NWC #20- "Quit your Day Job" DUE Nov 21th at 8am

Challenge: Quit your day job

Write a scene in which you tell everyone off and quit your day job.

To protect the innocent- change the name- and perhaps species- of those involved
Here's a fun little video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQmbttoxUeE

Get some catharsis!

OR
If you're up for a challenge- flip it and fire yourself for all the right reasons.




(Not feeling this one.  Anyway, I went down the research rabbit hole just to get some basics and realized I really needed a whole lot more research if this was the path part of the story was going down.  So, that said, a beginning...)


LOVE POTION NUMBER 9

SARAH and JEFFREY in the magic garage.

                          SARAH
I'm trying not to blame you.  To blame anyone.  But it's a little difficult.

                          JEFFREY
I know.  I'm sorry.  You seem like a lovely person.

                          SARAH
And you seem harmless enough.

                          JEFFREY
Thanks?

                          SARAH
Except of course you cast a spell on my husband.

                          JEFFREY
I didn't think it'd work.

                          SARAH
That's not your best argument.

                          JEFFREY
I didn't think Micah would use it.

                          SARAH
Yeah, also not helping.

                          JEFFREY
Magic just seemed, I don't know.  Cool.  Because it was suddenly possible.

                          SARAH
It wasn't always possible?

                          JEFFREY
Be honest, did you believe in magic before this?

                          SARAH
No.  I mean, it seemed like a nice idea, outside of horror movies, of course.

                          JEFFREY
And, in addition to not being my old church, and having a sense of humor, and more than one god or goddess to choose from, this way of life -

                          SARAH
The Pagan, Wiccan thing?

                          JEFFREY
Yeah.  If it was also promising a world where magic happened, then -

                          SARAH
Suddenly you're Harry Potter.

                          JEFFREY
Not exactly but -

                          SARAH
Flying around on brooms isn't your thing?

                          JEFFREY
Hadn't actually considered it but it seems like it'd be an uncomfortable way of getting around.

                          SARAH
So what, exactly?

                          JEFFREY
It was the interconnectedness of it all.  That the whole world was tied together, in a common life.  That I was part of something larger than myself.

                          SARAH
The church you grew up in never did that?

                          JEFFREY
It did.  Until I figured out who I was.

                          SARAH
Oh.

                          JEFFREY
Then it just seemed like the church was standing between me and the divine, cutting me off.

                          SARAH
And this new way of looking at the world - ?

                          JEFFREY
I didn't need an intermediary.  I was reminded I was already connected and always had been.  Plus there was the added bonus of it having pre-Christian roots.  So I could look at it as sort of a middle finger to the church that rose up and got in between me and -

                          SARAH
A personal relationship with the spirit embedded in your everyday surroundings.

                          JEFFREY
I didn't need to go to a church.  I could go to the woods.  I could just go to a park.  Anywhere with living things.  And be reminded, I was living, too.  I was here.  I was part of creation.  There was a purpose.

                          SARAH
So why mess with it?

                          JEFFREY
When you spend a lot of time letting other people convince you you're powerless, sometimes you want to grab a little extra power where you can.  Not to be mean or destructive, just -

                          SARAH
You created a love potion.  And gave it to a guy you like, who then gave it to someone else.

                          JEFFREY
I'd be lying if I said I had a well thought out plan.

                          SARAH
Well, you're going to have one now.





No comments: