Thursday, November 22, 2018

November Writing Challenge 2018 - 22 - Fall, Falling, Fell


THE TWENTY-SECOND CHALLENGE

Fall/Falling/Fell

From Founding Member Kaitlyn Chaucer-

Most of my life I thought the phrase "falling in love" was ridiculous. Who wants to combine something great with falling which sucks? But I went skydiving a couple years ago and that's about the biggest fall you can do, right? And that's when it started to almost make sense.

You see, before you fall, you're anxious about it. You either really desire to fall like with sky diving and your so nervous about it happening that you can't think of anything else (I may have cried in the plane, but whatever) or you never think about it and you're still gonna fall sometimes even if it's just a little trip or stumble.

At first, it's exhilarating. You feel butterflies in your stomach and all kinds of chemical responses. The longer the fall, the less chemicals you feel and the more normalized it is. With sky diving, once the new-ness left and I stopped screaming long enough to open my eyes, it was one of the most beautiful experiences. There was a gentle fullness and pride that I had finally done it. The view was amazing and I saw the world thru the same Rose colored glasses I have about my long term relationships.

And then there's the fell. The end. The over. When you see it coming, you can prepare and land gracefully and avoid pain. When it comes as a surprise, it can cause damage. It can hurt for a while and you have to heal. There are people too afraid of the fell to let themselves fall, but in doing so, they miss falling. Somewhere between fall and fell is my happy place. When the anxiety is over and there's just acceptance exactly as you are. I know one day, the fell will come. After all, we can't fall forever. But I'm glad I have someone willing to flap their wings with me to try to make the falling last the rest of our lives.

Former Artistic Director- Em Hampton

It can be physical, mental, emotional. - can contain one, two, or all three of those words

i wrote a piece where i sang “if i fell in love with you would you promise to be true, so help meeee” (Beatles) about an abusive relationship. and then i re-sang “help meee” a bunch of times while people were holding me like one of those pig roasts
until someone puts an apple in my mouth from the audience to help me*

*********************




(well, this one took a conversational turn I wasn’t expecting – not exactly the fall, falling, fell challenge, but on the weird nature of love – continuing the Spellbound play, looking more and more like I might reach the end of the new act two before the end of the challenge – we shall see…)

(previous scenes here, here, here, here, here, and here – and then, this one)



The lights shift, slowly.

MICAH fades into the dark as

JEFFREY and DUNCAN appear at the metaphysical supply store.

JEFFREY has just received a message on his phone.

                          JEFFREY
Micah says it worked.  He’s coming to meet me here.

The lights shift, slowly.

The light in the metaphysical supply store dims but does not go out entirely as

AUGGIE and SARAH reappear, now back at home.

He’s told her everything.

                          SARAH
And that’s everything?

AUGGIE nods.

                          SARAH (cont’d)
You’ve done nothing you need to be sorry for, Auggie.

                          AUGGIE
Not even - ?

He can’t finish the sentence.

                          SARAH
That wasn’t your finest moment, no.  But Micah stopped you.

                          AUGGIE
I didn’t want him to stop me.

                          SARAH
But he did.  And a part of you was listening or you’d have gone ahead anyway.

                          AUGGIE
So you’re saying if I tried the same thing with you –

                          SARAH
That’s different.

                          AUGGIE
How is that different?

                          SARAH
You’re not married to Micah.  You’re not in a relationship with Micah.

AUGGIE is about to protest that assessment.

                          SARAH (cont’d)
A sexual relationship with Micah.  Based on trust, and mutual agreement.

                          AUGGIE
People rape strangers all the time.

                          SARAH
I’m saying actions like that in the context of our relationship would be a different kind of violation.

                          AUGGIE
So you’re saying I *can* rape my wife, but I *can’t* rape my friend.

                          SARAH
Stop using that word.

                          AUGGIE
That’s what it is.

                          SARAH
No.  It isn’t.  Because you didn’t.

                          AUGGIE
Assault, then.  Sexual assault.  That happened.  He said no, I kept pushing it.

                          SARAH
Auggie, if you’re determined to beat yourself up about this there isn’t anything I can say or do to stop you.  But I’m telling you, even Micah was telling you, you don’t have to.

                          AUGGIE
There’s no excuse –

                          SARAH
No, there isn’t.

                          AUGGIE
Even being under the influence of –

                          SARAH
You’re right.  I’m agreeing with you.  Nothing makes it right or OK.  There is no excuse.
But there is forgiveness.
And Micah and I are both offering you that.
You should find a way to forgive yourself, too.

                          AUGGIE
What if I don’t think I deserve it?

                          SARAH
We’re forgiving Micah, aren’t we?  He was the one who gave you the love potion in the first place.  He was the one that set all this in motion.

                          AUGGIE
But he didn’t know that’s what he was doing.

                          SARAH
He still did it.  And it was stupid.
But he didn’t take advantage of the situation, did he?

                          AUGGIE
No.

                          SARAH
He could have let you do what you wanted.
He could have had sex with you.
That would have been him taking advantage of you.
But he didn’t.

                          AUGGIE
So we forgive him.

                          SARAH
And even though you tried to force yourself on him –

                          AUGGIE
Oh god.

                          SARAH
But you didn’t follow through.  You stopped.
You both did bad things but you stopped.
Doesn’t mean you didn’t do them.  But it also doesn’t mean you’re unforgivable.

                          AUGGIE
I’m not sure I can look at Micah the same way after this.

                          SARAH
Auggie, he’s –

                          AUGGIE
I’m not talking about the assault now.  I’m talking about the reason I even wanted to – you know –
There he was.  Right next to me.  A guy I’ve known most of my life.  And he was playing guitar while I sang this song I wrote for him, about him, and how I felt and –
We’ve always been close.  We’ve always had a bond.  But –
I don’t know.  Those last barriers were down.
Whatever had kept me from looking at him like that before, seeing him like that before, it was gone.

                          SARAH
There’s nothing wrong with having feelings like that.

                          AUGGIE
Yes, but I didn’t have any boundaries anymore, either
Suddenly, he was just a person I wanted.  That I had to have.  I wanted to express myself, physically, with him, give myself to him, take him as mine.
And I didn’t see any reason not to.

                          SARAH
That’s where it went off the rails, yeah.

                          AUGGIE
But I’m saying I don’t think I can un-see him like that.  Not anymore.

                          SARAH
Well, the two of you should probably talk about that.

                          AUGGIE
Yeah.

                          SARAH
You’ve seen women you found attractive since you met me, even since we’ve been married, be honest.

                          AUGGIE
Well –

                          SARAH
I see good looking men all the time.  I’m married, I’m not blind.

AUGGIE lets out a small, involuntary laugh.

                          SARAH (cont’d)
Finally, a smile.
I’m sorry this is so weird for you, honey.

                          AUGGIE
It makes me want to ask you not to teach our kid about witchcraft.

Pause.

                          SARAH
I get that.
But you know I don’t do spells, that’s not my thing.
And ignorance, of anything, isn’t going to keep this kid out of trouble.

                          AUGGIE
I said it makes me want to, not that I would.

                          SARAH
Keep talking to me about this, OK?

                          AUGGIE
Maybe you can make it less scary for me.

                          SARAH
I’ll try.

                          AUGGIE
Whatever decisions we make, we make as a team.

                          SARAH
You should talk to Micah.

                          AUGGIE
About - ?

                          SARAH
Seeing men as attractive.  That’s something he could make less scary for you.

                          AUGGIE
It’s not men, it’s Micah.

                          SARAH
All the same.  I’m sure he’s looked at you that way, sometimes.  In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it.

                          AUGGIE
Yeah?

                          SARAH
Yeah.  It’s weird.  It happens, he catches himself, and then it makes it less likely for him to touch you.  He’s overcompensating.

                          AUGGIE
We touch each other all the time.

                          SARAH
You’re a very tactile pair, yes.  But he lets you initiate it, almost 100 percent of the time.

                          AUGGIE
Really?

                          SARAH
Really.
You’ll just have to negotiate a new way forward.  Because if you both start spending all your time avoiding touching the other guy and you don’t talk about it, it’s gonna get weird.

                          AUGGIE
After what I did –

                          SARAH
After what he did, too.
You both crashed through some boundaries without meaning to.  You’ll just need to be more deliberate in the future.  You’ll probably get to know each other better, because you’ll actually be talking about things instead of being “guys” about it.

                          AUGGIE
We’re not that bad, are we?

                          SARAH
You’re better than most, but not as good as you could be.  But I could say that about a lot of people, me included.

                          AUGGIE
Thanks, Sarah.

                          SARAH
It’s what we do, Auggie.  I talk you down, you talk me down.  We stay off the ledges.  Together.

                          AUGGIE
And Micah’s alone.

                          SARAH
He’s not alone.  He’s got you.  He’s got us.  We’ll get through this.

                          AUGGIE
I know I ask this a lot, even before this, but, are you and the baby OK?

                          SARAH
Auggie, we didn’t even have to do without you for a full day.  You’ve been out on tours a lot longer than that.  We’re fine.  We’re just happy you’re back.  OK?

                          AUGGIE
OK.
Is it kicking yet?

AUGGIE places a hand on SARAH’s stomach.

                          SARAH
It’s still too early for that.  But he or she is in there, and healthy.  I promise.

SARAH touches AUGGIE’s face, smiles encouragingly.

                          SARAH (cont’d)
Welcome home.



(to be continued)



No comments: