Tuesday, November 27, 2018

November Writing Challenge 2018 - 27 - Expressionism Flashbacks



THE TWENTY-SEVENTH CHALLENGE

Expressionism Flashbacks

Flashbacks are a trope of the cinema…and generally bad writing.

Let’s do flashbacks!

What people REALLY mean is that flashbacks are exposition mistaken for dramatic narrative. No matter how much emotion you put in them, they are just pushing “pause” on the main plot and giving context to the thing we’re supposed to care about. The really annoying thing, is that if you’re already breaking Realism’s convention of a uniform time and place to teleport somewhere else, why not also break OTHER established norms and expectations/laws of physics (inherently theatrical) if it helps to more powerfully and poetically EXPRESS the truth. = expressionism.


Start with a generic A/B scene that could really be about anything. I’ll include one below, expound on it or write your own.

Use flashbacks as a tool of expressionism to fill in the blanks. Provide context that make the lines land with brutal specificity.

Start with an image in each flashback. Don’t worry about staging practicalities right now. Clothing can come on and off and on in a flash.

Add your own dialogue in the flashbacks. Or don’t. Don’t tell me what to do. I didn’t.

Play with time (speed up, slow down, reverse)

Play with scale (put the audience in-between the lips of a single kiss - or racist epithet)

Make the invisible… visible. (SHOW us sound- a heart beat- a clock tick- a train passing by)

Stay efficient and theatrical. Say 1000 words with an image rather than speak 100.

Generic scene:
A: Hi
B: Hey
A: Hay’s for horses
B: What?
A: Sorry
B: That’s what I thought
A: What? I was being funny. I’m a funny pony.
B: Is this going how you wanted it to go?
A: It’s not going much of anywhere it seems
B: Sorry
A: You’re not though
B: I guess I’m not. Are you?
A: I’m getting there. I could get there. You?
B: I’m way past it.
A: Come back.
B: It doesn’t work like that.
A: We’re just making it up as we go

B: And that’s the problem
A: Forget the past. Live in the moment
B: I’m a planner.
A: Let’s plan on it then
B: Get your calendar. And…
A: And?
B: Make the first entry, horsey.

***********************************

(I’m switching it up again, grabbing another previous prompt I didn’t do yet instead, this time reaching back to #9 – Repetition, below)

The Ninth Challenge
Repetition

I’m not a music expert. Like I know enough to be inspired and feel things a little more than if I didn’t know those things- so caveat on the below.

Numba nine. Numba nine. Numba nine. The Beatles had Revolution 9 on The White Album- a sound collage John Lennon said where he was trying to paint a picture of a revolution using sound.



The Rolling Stones would tune their guitars (like a banjo I believe) to have an open “drone string” that played the same note no matter the chord (G).


Fundamentals: One of the “inherently theatrical” energies that playwrights don’t usually have the guts to play with is REPETITION. Repetition is inherently theatrical because of its tyranny. It’s brutal. It’s dominant and restricting. It affects everything around it and make us want to break free- to revolt.
When it ends, there is relief and release. When it varies, we are drawn in.

Repetition is part of trance- part of “rain dance”- part of transporting oneself from the mundane into another realm, a better future, the distant past.

Structure:  Write a personal monologue- a biased, dogmatic, angry monologue. Do NOT walk the middle line. Irresponsibly feed your worst desires to flatten and burn and rip up your opposition. There is no justice, only victory. Use facts if you like, but lie about them. Don’t look them up, that’s not what today is about. Use personal testimony if you like, but exaggerate.

Then- ADD A DRONE CHORUS or tech element that interrupts and interjects and interludes.

Make it compelling.

Make it a little girl with a frilly dress holding flowers and asking you if you can play with her.

Make it a violin

Make it the sound of traffic.

Make sure it makes EMOTIVE sense in relationship to the other subjects on stage.

Probably you should write in two columns but do whatchu want

Hasty example:
Today I want to talk to you about my mother
(strong violin)
She used to play the violin in public
(strong violin)
Before the accident with the knife.
(violin trill)
I was just a boy
(strong violin)
and was disobeying
(strong violin)
Like usual
(violin trill)

********************

(This is dumb and petty and kinda stupid, but I'm posting it anyway.)





An empty theater.

But all the lights are on.

The house lights, the work lights, the ghost light, and all the instruments in the designer’s lighting plot are on, bright.

REUBEN enters the empty stage, looks out into the empty audience.

A disembodied VOICE comes over the sound system throughout the theater.

                          VOICE
15 minutes, please.  15 minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, fifteen!

REUBEN looks around the empty theater.

                          REUBEN (cont’d)
Yeah, gotta be a metaphor in here somewhere.

                          REUBEN speaks to the empty house.

                          REUBEN (cont’d)
I’m not meeting enough gay men in theater.  How is that possible?
I mean, I know I didn’t get the opera gene and the musical theater gene is barely present in my DNA.

Another disembodied voice sings out over the sound system to the accompaniment of a plaintive piano.  (Kander & Ebb’s “I Don’t Care Much” from Cabaret)

                          SINGING VOICE
I don’t care much
Go or stay
I don’t care very much
Either way

                          REUBEN
And yet, here’s a show tune.

A chunk of the stage lights go out.

                          REUBEN
And that can’t be a good sign.
Wasn’t theater supposed to be our refuge?  My people.  The gays.  Isn’t theater the escape hatch?
Maybe not, anymore.  The new generations have so many more options now.

                          VOICE
14 minutes, please.  14 minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, fourteen!
But the new generation isn’t an issue.  I’m looking at my generation.  I’m not looking for someone half my age.  I have realistic expectations.

                          SINGING VOICE
Hearts grow hard
On a windy street

Another chunk of the stage lights go out.

                          REUBEN
Audience members, lovers and appreciators of theater, that would be fine.  But it’s kind of hard to get enough quality time to really get to know someone in passing, before or after a show – certainly not during a performance.  Actually being in theater, collaborating, that seems to be the place to make contact, to establish a relationship.

                          VOICE
13 minutes, please.  13 minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, thirteen!
But there are so many straight people.  Not that I mind straight people.  They’re quite nice.  Some of my best friends are straight people.  But they’re hardly going to take me home when the cast party is over, if you know what I mean.

                          SINGING VOICE
Lips grow cold
With the rent to meet.

Another chunk of the stage lights go out.

                          REUBEN
I don’t think I’m closed off.  I try not to be closed off.  But it’s hard to know your place sometimes.  To feel like you belong.

                          VOICE
12 minutes, please.  12 minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, twelve!
As a playwright.  Your place as a playwright.  To still belong in theater.  Because technically they don’t need you.  You can’t work with a dead actor or a dead director, but you can work with a dead playwright.  We need to write for theater to happen but we don’t need to be present or even alive for theater to happen.

                          SINGING VOICE
So if you kiss me
If we touch
Warning’s fair
I don’t care
Very much

Another chunk of the stage lights go out.

The stage lights are now completely out.

                          REUBEN
And some would argue you don’t even need a writer anymore.   Actors and directors are doing their own storytelling.  So they need writers less and less. 

                          VOICE
11 minutes, please.  11 minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, eleven!
They need someone with story crafting skills, sure, but a finished script is no longer required in order to get started.  And the artists I admire most, need me the least.

                          SINGING VOICE
I don’t care much
Go or stay

Part of the work lights on stage go out.

                          REUBEN
It’s hard to hang on to your sense of self-esteem, your sense of place, when it seems they need you less and less.  And the kind of stories I tell, the gay stories, society likes to think they need those stories less and less.  Certainly people *in* theater are more ready to think all problems have been solved because *their* problems have been solved.

                          SINGING VOICE
I don’t care very much
Either way

Another part of the work lights on stage go out.

                          VOICE
Ten minutes, please.  Ten minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, ten!
I mean, we’re not dying anymore, not in the numbers we used to.  And because of the fights, we’re visible now.  We’re part of the culture.  Not just the creators of culture.  We’re in it.  We’re characters.  We get to sing and speak.  Sometimes we’re even the leads.  So it’s easy to convince yourself that everything’s fine.

                          SINGING VOICE
Words sound false
When your coat’s too thin

Another part of the work lights on stage go out.

The work lights on stage are now completely out.

REUBEN is illuminated only by the single ghost light on stage, and the ambient light coming to the stage from the house lights.

                          VOICE
Nine minutes, please.  Nine minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, nine!
But I haven’t given up yet.  I mean, it seems more and more like a game of musical chairs where the music keeps playing but everyone has gone and they’ve taken the chairs with them.  And I’m here, standing.

                          SINGING VOICE
Feet don’t waltz
When the roof caves in.

Part of the house lights go out.

                          REUBEN
Going online seems like the solution, but it also seems deeply sad.  Because I haven’t given up.  And it seems like most guys my age gave up a long time ago.  I have realistic expectations but they’re still expectations.  I don’t think realistic expectations means settling.  Right?  I mean, I need to be attracted to the person.  I need to want to have sex with them, more than once, repeatedly.  I’m not seeing that out there on display.

                          VOICE
Eight minutes, please.  Eight minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, eight!
Guys my age look a *lot* older.  Guys my age look really run down.  Guys my age are not in shape.  And again, I’m not looking for gym rat/gym bunny shape, just, you know, not a blob.  That would be a start.  Where are the gay guys in theater?

                          SINGING VOICE
So if you kiss me

Another, single, house light goes out.

                          REUBEN
I want someone to hang out with and talk with, who also is gonna want to rip my clothes off at the end of the night, and I want the feeling to be mutual.  Again, not looking for someone half my age.  They don’t see me.  As an older man, I’m completely sexless to them.  Doesn’t even cross their minds.  If I’m lucky, they might admire me for my work.  They might love me for my mind.  But as the character once said in the comedy, Jeffrey: Don’t admire me, fuck me!

                          SINGING VOICE
If we touch

Another, single, house light goes out.

                          VOICE
Seven minutes, please.  Seven minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, seven!
I know this seems small and petty but I kind of don’t care.  I’m lonely.  I’m searching.  I haven’t given up but I need a little hope here.  And I guess I also need a little help.  But I don’t know how to ask or who to ask.  And I go about my business.  Hoping someone’ll notice.  But I’m starting to think I need to be proactive, and yet I haven’t a clue how to start, where to start.  Artistically smart.  Socially stupid.

                          SINGING VOICE
Warning’s fair

Another, single, house light goes out.

The house lights are all out now.

The only illumination for REUBEN now is the ghost light.

                          REUBEN
My lack of quality networking skills seems to be impacting my artistic life and social life in equal measure.  I need to shake things up but it feels like I’m running out of time, with no plan.

                          VOICE
Six minutes, please.  Six minutes.

                          REUBEN
Thank you, six!
You know what?  No.  No thank you, six.
Why are the lights going out as we get closer to curtain?
Why is the window closing?
I’m willing to do the work, I swear.  But a target rich environment would be useful.  So where are all the gay guys in theater?

                          SINGING VOICE
I don’t care
Very much

The ghost light goes out as the last of the piano accompaniment peters out on the final notes.

REUBEN stands for a moment in the dark.

We can see the red EXIT sign at the back of the stage

REUBEN walks to the back of the stage and out the exit, a shaft out outside light dimly illuminating the empty theater.




No comments: