Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Friendly Persuasion (5th in a series)

...or, Some Friends' Shows I Know that are Worth a Look...

Actually, this time I'm lobbying for a script that's something of an old friend.

Spring Awakening
Virginia L. Anderson
Red Eye Collaboration

I know it may seem odd to form a sentimental attachment to a German expressionist play that features sexual repression (and abandon), abortion, suicide, and a creepy (and oddly funny) climax (the structural kind) in a graveyard, but there you have it.

The plays you get exposed to (no pun intended) in college sometimes follow you like stray puppies on the street into adulthood.

And it's not just the end that's kind of amusing. The play is rife with both comfortable and uncomfortable humor.

And they've managed to work in puppets as well.

So I'm going to revisit an old friend. And I'd urge you, whether you've seen it in the past or not, to join me. A large ensemble piece just doesn't get done every day anymore, even in a theater town like this one. Just one more thing the Fringe makes possible.

No comments: