Tuesday, July 29, 2003

A Fringe Schedule Only A Mother Could Love, Part 1 of 2

or is it, *Even* a Mother Could Love?

In any case, here's what my Mom gets to see, Fringe-wise, when she gets into town, Saturday August 9th...

Much as it pains me, I'm not scheduling myself for Fringe activities in the afternoon that day.

I picture my mother waiting around in a car on a hot day for me to get home from a show, and it's not a pretty thought.

So, I'll clean the bathroom or something until she arrives, get her settled in, get a bite to eat, and then...

5:30pm
Old Arizona
Emily Dickinson: My Letter to the World

I missed this one last year. Elizabeth Dickinson, who does the show, is actually a descendant of the titular poet. And much as some of my fellow writers dismiss Emily, I'm quite fond of her. Her poems sit in a well-worn book on a shelf with my other favorites - Auden and cummings and Lorde. She inspires me just as much as they or Shakespeare. I can't think of a better way to ease mom into the Fringe than to spend an hour in the company of Ms. Dickinson.

Then perhaps a spot of dinner at...

8pm
Bryant Lake Bowl
One Man Hamlet

For all the reasons stated before, I'm looking forward to this. And I'm sure Mom will get a kick out of it, too. (If You Held A Gun To My Head #9, 7/23/03)

10pm
Intermedia Arts (just around the corner and down the block, a nice evening's walk)
Industrials

Can't think of a better way to end mom's first evening in the Cities than taking her to the Ministry of Cultural Warfare's latest bit of uber-camp. (If You Held A Gun To My Head #10, 7/24/03)

And so my mom and I end our broadcast day...

No comments: