Saturday, July 19, 2003

If You Put A Gun To My Head (6 of 10)

...or, If I Could Only See Ten Fringe Shows...

what would they be and why?

I Hate This
Bad Epitaph Theater Company
Red Eye Collaboration

OK, when I saw the title, I thought, "Man, is this guy asking for it from the critics. He's handing them their headline if..." Then I saw what it was about. Ouch. "An honest, horrible and humorous look at stillbirth" That may be too much for some of you. But I go to the Fringe to see something I don't see every day. And this playwright/performer's got guts. Check out the website. The picture of the artist, sitting with a pair of baby shoes, is both heartbreaking and compelling. And with a time hopping structure, promised laughter among the tough stuff, and a proven track record in Ohio where it comes with praise from several critics (who apparently didn't take the title up on its offer), I'm willing to risk it. I'm pretty certain it's going to be worth it, and that this is an artist I'm going to want to know better.

No comments: