Monday, July 30, 2012

Vote! - Savaali


"We weren't introduced.  We're the labor."

What does it take to win a seat? The candidate is committed but is he enticing enough? Are the sexy volunteers interested in the platform or the candidate? Politics and romance collide to generate a win.

Student know-it-alls try to hijack a man's political campaign away from his actual campaign manager. The strange thing is, the whole time I was watching it I was thinking, "Why is it three women being bitchy and fighting over a male candidate?" I like that they all treat him like a know-nothing piece of meat on the one hand, but on the other hand, why isn't it a woman candidate with men and women fighting over her. Why doesn't the candidate have more of a voice? It feels like the silences of certain characters are more for the convenience of the writer than the realistic playing out of story and human nature. I'm torn, because I want to like the new plays, particularly the ones that aren't just about who's sleeping with who. But from the preview, I'm not sure how deep this political satire is going to dig. I needed the preview to dig a little deeper and surprise me a little more to get me to want to go see the full show.

No comments: