Sunday, July 28, 2019

Fringe 2019 - Top 10 - #9 - Mighty Real – Marvel Ann Theatre – Augsburg Main


Description - A piano bar. Closing time. The 50th anniversary of Stonewall. Five men of all ages will tell their comic, poignant, true-life tales creating a shared context of the journey so far. Then they'll probably sing!

I’m the first to admit I didn’t fully “get” Marvel Ann’s Vert-O-Graph last year.  But both Mom and I were amused, so they were always on the “worth another look” list.

And in a year I’m looking for more queer content, it makes sense to make another visit.

The More Information tab on their Fringe show page gives a bit more detail:

In honor of the 50th Anniversary of Stonewall, Marvel Ann decided to look into the last half-century through the eyes of five actors ranging in age from 23 to 61 to see how the gay experience has changed, or stayed the same.  These are real-life tales told by actors playing themselves.  It is brutally honest at times, and downright hilarious at others, as these players share their experiences spanning the past 50 years. And then they are probably going to sing and dance a bit.

The press packet also shared:

This work is the compilation of five original storytelling pieces.  Director Raine Hokan has woven theses stories into one cohesive tale. All five of these performers are playing themselves in a hypothetical scenario whereby they all linger just after closing time in a local piano bar around a baby grand.

Like I said, worth another look.  So on the list they go.

Side Note - the title (in case you were wondering where it came from, I think this is it - one of the original gay anthems)

First show - Saturday, August 3, 2019, 2:30pm - Augsburg Mainstage



For a quick list of links to my other postings, check out my Top 10 and Top 11-20 new Fringe artists to check out for Fringe 2019.  There's also Returning Favorites, and Fringe Shows I Just Can't Watch Right Now, but You Probably Should.  If you want to keep me company, during my first Fringe without Mom, I'll be posting my schedule here.  Also, here's some links if you want to hit all the Fringe 2019 blog posts, or see the full Fringe Archive from years past (just keep scrolling down, or hit the different years in the archive listing for the full blog on the right side of the screen and zero in on July and August)



No comments: