Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Fringe 2019 Top 20 - #18 - Relic - Jesse Factor - Crane Theater


Description: Dance artist Jesse Factor drags the ghosts of celebrity into the present to remnants of a forgotten Joan Crawford interview looped together in an original score by Andy Hasenpflug.

The reasons for this one are pretty basic.

As stated before, I need to see more queer content in the Fringe.

I also stock up on my quota of dance for the year at the Fringe.

It’s hard to get much queerer than a dancer out of New York who used to be part of Martha Graham’s dance company performing original choreography set to a background of original music spliced together with sound from an interview of classic Hollywood diva Joan Crawford (aka, Mommie Dearest).

An extended description of the production says,  

“RELIC is about celebrity, legend, and how we remember and recycle the artifice and truth of a diva. An androgynous figure, ghostly white and alien-like, struts, convulses, and mourns to an original score looped from remnants of a forgotten Joan Crawford interview. Shifting between the tragic and the comic, the result is a solo fantasia on vanity, beauty, and memory, that re-animates the past on its own terms.”

Jesse Factor and composer Andy Hasenpflug both have some serious credentials, just check out their bios on the Cast and Crew tab.

For a taste of the show to come, check out the trailer on the Video tab.

It’s something different, it’s dance, it’s queer.  Count me in.

First show - Saturday, August 3, 2019, 10pm - Crane Theater



For a quick list of links to my other postings, check out my Top 10 and Top 11-20 new Fringe artists to check out for Fringe 2019.  There's also Returning Favorites, and Fringe Shows I Just Can't Watch Right Now, but You Probably Should.  If you want to keep me company, during my first Fringe without Mom, I'll be posting my schedule here.  Also, here's some links if you want to hit all the Fringe 2019 blog posts, or see the full Fringe Archive from years past (just keep scrolling down, or hit the different years in the archive listing for the full blog on the right side of the screen and zero in on July and August)


No comments: