Sunday, August 03, 2003

Fringe - Day 2 - part 5

Apologetic Killer
Acadia Cafe

I'm glad I wedged this one into my schedule after all.

After Sock Puppet Serenade, I was in such a good Fringey mood, I looked at the program, saw that I could just squeeze this show in and thought, hell, you want to see it, go see it. Why clean your apartment when there's theater out there to be seen? (Which, unfortunately, is an explanation for why my apartment isn't fit for man nor beast, and yet somehow I still live there. But my mom's coming. Argh)

Anyway, on to the show.

I was suddenly reminded what a lily-white Fringe experience I'd been having up till now. African-Americans made up a sizeable portion of the audience.

And yet, Johnny Cash music was playing.

I loved the lead peformer and playwright from the moment I read the program because instead of a standard bio, she used her space normally reserved for talking about oneself to say the following...

"Apologetic Killer was inspired by a friend who challenged me to write a play with a message. I hope this piece has done that. I am against the death penalty and against most policies this government implements. As Americans it is our right, our duty to be critical, active and (when earned) supportive citizens. We deserve so much more and I refuse to accept this is as good as it gets."

Amen, sister!

I kept waving this program like a banner in front of my friends' faces and urging them to read it.

Go see this show. Is is perfect? No. Is it good? Yes. Is it struggling with something we should all be struggling with in between the puppet shows and sketch comedy and nude guys on stage? Absolutely.

Go.

No comments: