Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fringe 2009 - FFA 1 - A Dream Play

"I know it's disgusting because it's full of people's problems."

Tenth Muse

A Dream Play

Freud meets Nietzsche meets Alice in Wonderland (bondage a-go-go style)... as an angelic being descends to earth to bear witness to the sufferings and cruelty of everyday life.

I don't know exactly what rubbed me the wrong way about this one. It's Strindberg. I know I'm supposed to like it. I don't dislike Strindberg on principle or anything. The performers were all just fine. A woman in a (winter?) coat. A guy with red striped arm-warmers. A guy dressed like a refugee from an S&M dungeon, with a mask that had a pointy black beak where the nose should be.

I guess I just don't have much patience right now for the theater of "isn't life horrible? how do we survive it? aren't people the worst of living creatures?" Stop whining, August, and do something constructive with the hour you're requiring we give you out of our horrible little lives. Otherwise, shut up and move over. Your yellow light is turning red.

Maybe I should read the play. Maybe the excerpt doesn't give the best representation of the piece as a whole. All I remember of Strindberg's plays right now are "horny Miss Julie goes crazy and dies for screwing the hunky hired help" and "atheist father goes crazy and dies because mother wants more of a say in the child-rearing." Ouch. Some people are in the mood for Strindberg. Right now, I guess I'm not one of them.

Their facebook page

Their show page

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're whining about the whining... seriously?!