Friday, July 31, 2009

Fringe 2009 - OOTS - Auntie Dorris' You May Not Wanna Know but I'm Gonna Tell You Anyway A-thon

"We have a habit of seamlessly transitioning from witty banter to great musical numbers."

Zoe Schwartz

Auntie Dorris' You May Not Wanna Know but I'm Gonna Tell You Anyway A-thon

from Chicago, IL

Dorris is turning 80 and sharing her birthday with you through a night of nostalgia, whiskey and song. Part vaudeville, part your drunk aunt at Shabbat dinner, Dorris is sure to charm anyone with a heart.

Apparently, according to the above, I don't have a heart.

Well, you gotta hand it to her. She certainly wasn't shy.

I knew from the title and show description this wasn't my thing, and the preview didn't prove me wrong, so I'm not gonna belabor it.

There is an audience for this show. It's essentially character-based sketch comedy. Drunk, horny old Auntie Dorris (another former cheerleader, like the nuns in the first half of the out of towner showcase) and her Russian keyboardist friend alternate between their own personal version of a vaudeville comedy act, and old song standards with their own particular spin on them. At one point Doris bounded into the crowd and demanded random words from bewildered audience members to incorporate into a bizarre extra chorus of "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off."

Not for me, but perhaps for you. Check out the following...

Her website - http://yourauntiedorris.tumblr.com/

Her show page

No comments: