Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Fringe 2017 - Top 10 - #10 - Spy In The House of Men: A One-Woman Show With Balls


Transgender writer and performer Penny Sterling's award-winning, laugh-out-loud theatre engagement maps her journey through a life-long coming-out process.

This stand-up comedian found after her transition that she had another story she wanted to tell.

“I made it to the semifinals of the 2016 ‘Funniest Person' competition, but my heart wasn't in it,” she says. “I realized I was sacrificing truth for jokes, and that's not what I wanted.”

A series of Facebook posts about being transgender helped her friends so much “‘You should write a book,' they'd say,” recalls Penny. “‘I don't wanna write a book,' I'd reply. But I could make a show about it.”

She’s been taking festivals by storm in New York, Ohio and DC ever since (sold out houses, glowing reviews, audience favorite awards, etc.).  And now she’s coming to the Twin Cities.  So I’d be silly not to check this one out.

(Random shout-out: another female queer solo show, First Year Queer, also almost made the cut.)

And here's some handy links to the full list of pre-Fringe top 10, and 11-20, returning favorites, and all the random shout outs in these Top 10/Top 20 posts - links all gathered in a single list to take you to fuller posts and Fringe pages.  Enjoy!


No comments: