Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Fringe 2017 - Top 10 - #5 - Out of the Shadows


This perfectionist's theatric dance solo includes shifts, swivels, pas de bourrees, and leaps. It's a life lesson in hard work, discipline, authenticity, and humility. The narrative will keep you on edge.

I mentioned this show before when I was talking about choosing shows - and how random it can be.  This artist was already on my list but after Gabriel Mata’s Fringe preview this week, I’m sure he’s on everyone else’s list to see, too.

A friend asked me at intermission of the previews, “Do you think he did that costume change on stage during Dawn’s introduction on purpose?”
“Uh, yeah, and if I had a body like that I’d be doing costume changes onstage where everybody could see them, too.  That’s just good marketing.”

But Mata’s not just another pretty face with a dazzling smile.  The man knows how to move.  And he also has a great sense of humor.  Honestly, anyone who can flirt with a sound cue of a disembodied voice and also make it funny?  That’s a show I want to see.  The dance alone was going to be great, but the guy has a lot more than that going for him.  I’m sold. (Did some more digging - he's got a website and an instagram account, if you want to know more)

(Random shout-out: another show with GLBT content with a dance component - 35 Different Angles From Which To Hate Yourself - which almost made the cut)

And here's some handy links to the full list of pre-Fringe top 10, and 11-20, returning favorites, and all the random shout outs in these Top 10/Top 20 posts - links all gathered in a single list to take you to fuller posts and Fringe pages.  Enjoy!

No comments: